Basic Linux Training™

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Basic Linux Training's new semester is starting on Monday, 6 May 2002. Registration for that class closes Saturday, 4 May 2002.

The web site is :
http://www.basiclinux.net/

and according to them: "Basic Linux Training™ is a brief, introductory level course written specifically for those coming from a DOS/Windows background, without any knowledge of Unix or programming. The course is designed to be used with virtually any introductory Linux textbook, and is vendor and distribution neutral. The lessons cover the initial installation and configuration of Linux on your PC. They begin with a brief overview of the history and origins of UNIX, GNU, and Linux, describing the 'philosophy' underlying the system design. The lessons also address the choice of a distribution, preparing your hard disk, and the actual installation of the base system. Once the basic system is properly installed and configured, we continue with lessons on making your ISP connection through Linux, adding additional programs, setting up the graphical user interface, rebuilding the kernel, updating software packages, understanding the filesystem, the basic commands and programs, and the essentials of administering your new system. There are also lessons to give you a more in-depth introduction to shells and shell programming, booting and boot managers, XFree86 and X applications, networking, text editors, programming tools, bug tracking, software testing, security, customizing your system the way you want it, and performance tuning."

You can register at:
http://www.basiclinux.net/register.html

The course consists of two weekly lessons taking about an hour and a half each to complete and weekly IRC sessions at irc.debian.org on channel #BLT (usually on Sundays). You will also be required to sign up for the mailing list and can expect 25 to 50 messages per day, although you can have them all delivered to you as a digest. This is designed to highlight the collaborative nature of Linux and is especially desgined at getting newbies to Linux up to speed.

All of this, in the best Linux tradition, is FREE!!! All that is require of the student is some time and effort.

My thanks to "The VMS kid" at PC911 for the heads-up.

Enjoy! :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
training

I just applied for registration. As their blurb pointed out, it's one thing installing it, quite another to use it efficiently.

Should be quite a good way to lose a few hours! :D

Thanks Mucks/VMS Kid/Basiclinux....

Ask a Question