Backup/Restore suggestions for XP, and Vista

Anonymous

Any suggestions for "complete" backup/restore SW for XP
Pro? And that can be eventually migrated to Vista?

I need "complete" backup/restore for data retention, image
recovery, boot restore, (int)(ext)ernal large HD, and (E)-
SATA support.

The obvious answers, Acronis and Ghost, seem not to have
unanimously glowing feedback on Amazon.

Or, are the feedback just flawed?

Acronis:
http://www.amazon.com/review/produc...cm_cr_acr_txt?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Ghost:
http://www.amazon.com/review/produc...cm_cr_acr_txt?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Thanks you very much,

Gary

db.·.. >

unfortunately, the
glowing feedbacks
from many users
that have successfully
used those software's
are rarely posted.

in doing so, there
would likely be thousands
of postings, perhaps
millions.

there is no perfect
backup solution nor
should you believe that
there is one.

however, an ideal solution
would be the methodology
you build that is perfect
for your situation/scenario.

perhaps, you might want
to look into Microsoft's
home server technology.

if anything can be considered
reliable enough to protect
your operating system and
data, it should be from the
makers of that operating
system.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Anonymous said:
Any suggestions for "complete" backup/restore SW for XP
Pro? And that can be eventually migrated to Vista?

I need "complete" backup/restore for data retention, image
recovery, boot restore, (int)(ext)ernal large HD, and (E)-
SATA support.

The obvious answers, Acronis and Ghost, seem not to have
unanimously glowing feedback on Amazon.

Or, are the feedback just flawed?

Acronis:
http://www.amazon.com/review/produc...cm_cr_acr_txt?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Ghost:
http://www.amazon.com/review/produc...cm_cr_acr_txt?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Thanks you very much,

Gary

I don't know about the Amazon reviews, but I've been using Acronis for years
and have been universally pleased. Get the full workstation (not home)
version with universal restore.

Anonymous

I'd read/heard many accolades for Acronis on various sites/
NG's. That's why I was quite surprised at the Amazon criti-
cism's. I've actually been very happy with Ntbackup, despite
what other's may say. I guess that's an accurate example of
the non-glowing feedback ratio you describe.

Thanks.

Anonymous

Thanks for the tip. Maybe the workstation version is my
answer.

Thanks again....

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

Big Al

Lanwench said:
I don't know about the Amazon reviews, but I've been using Acronis for years
and have been universally pleased. Get the full workstation (not home)
version with universal restore.
Again this is the "what works for you" story.
I use two backups. JUST TO MAKE SURE.
I use Acronis True Image Home to do an image, this copies everything.
(and it seems to work for me okay, of course I'm not crossing between XP
and Vista). Then I use stomp soft backup to backup just files. I've
learned what I need and it does a small 2-3 gig backup of my 'I need
files'. Between the two I can restore my system without more than a
few settings. And those I'm working on too.

Big Al

PD43 said:
Why don't you use ATI for both? It will DO both.
Its a hang over from old days, I've had stomp for years. It allows me
to make a config file listing just what I want to backup. Not sure ATI
does that. I've only had ATI for 4 months and only use it to make
clones so far. I've used ATI to restore files from the clone, as I
forgot a file on my last backup that was only on the clone. Anyway the
stomp 'file' backup is a one click and its done.
If I can config ATI, I'll look into it and yes, one less program on the
machine.

Anonymous

Big Al said:
Again this is the "what works for you" story.
I use two backups. JUST TO MAKE SURE.
I use Acronis True Image Home to do an image, this copies everything. (and
it seems to work for me okay, of course I'm not crossing between XP and
Vista). Then I use stomp soft backup to backup just files. I've learned
what I need and it does a small 2-3 gig backup of my 'I need files'.
Between the two I can restore my system without more than a few settings.
And those I'm working on too.

As I stated in another reply, I've always been quite happy
simply using Ntbackup. However, I break out in sweats
everytime I consider the work necessary to recover a
dead system with only an Ntbackup image available.

Thanks.

Bill in Co.

Acronis True Image (TI) works great.

Still haven't used TI to make a backup "clone" of the system, when an
"image" backup to an external USB HD enclosure drive does the trick for me.
(I never pull out that drive - it's a pain to do, so a "clone" won't work
well for me). Anytime I want to restore the backup, I just restore the
image to the source drive. Works fine here, and the source drive stays
put (no swapping of drives).

Big said:
PD43 said:

Big said:
PD43 said:
[...]

I posted this text here recently, soliciting various backup
and restore product experiences.

Thanks to all who provided helpful replies.

Additionally, during my recent 5/15 reply to:
http://groups.google.com/group/micr...ral/browse_frm/thread/9dc13c9126832009?hl=en#
it caused me to recall a product that I'd used in the past be-
cause it was provided with an ExHD product I purchased.

The company is CMS Products:
http://www.cmsproducts.com/
and they provide competing backup/restore systems along
with various optional hardware. My experience with their
backup/restore software was positive, but it was just an
entry level product shipped with a piece of hardware that
I bought.

Their site uses some youtube video to demonstrate some of
their product operations. I'm going to look closer, and I sugg-
est those here still looking for backup/restore/recovery solu-
tions take a look also.

As usual, my disclaimer is that I have no personal/business/
financial interest in this CMS products, or anyone in/around
their organization. My only interest is as a former user.

Thanks again, for all the helpful comments.

Gary

Colin Barnhorst

The last couple of editions of True Image have been both XP and Vista (x86
and x64) compatible. You can't miss.

Anonymous said:
Thanks.

Big said:
PD43 wrote:

[...]

Thank you.

Colin Barnhorst said:
The last couple of editions of True Image have been both XP and Vista (x86
and x64) compatible. You can't miss.

Anonymous said:
Thanks.

Big Al wrote:
PD43 wrote:

[...]

dadiOH

Anonymous said:
Any suggestions for "complete" backup/restore SW for XP
Pro? And that can be eventually migrated to Vista?

I need "complete" backup/restore for data retention, image
recovery, boot restore, (int)(ext)ernal large HD, and (E)-
SATA support.

The obvious answers, Acronis and Ghost, seem not to have
unanimously glowing feedback on Amazon.

Or, are the feedback just flawed?

Acronis:
http://www.amazon.com/review/produc...cm_cr_acr_txt?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Ghost:
http://www.amazon.com/review/produc...cm_cr_acr_txt?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Another alternative. Better than the others IME.
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hdm-personal/

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Big Al

Not for $35. Lets see, $35 or 35 hours restoring? Hmmmmm :)

Colin said:
The last couple of editions of True Image have been both XP and Vista
(x86 and x64) compatible. You can't miss.

Anonymous said:
Thanks.

Big Al wrote:
PD43 wrote:

[...]