Backup doesn't show up

Andy

I have a problem with my Windows XP Pro SP2 PC. Every time when I run
Backup, backup window will not show up. In the task manager, I will see
ntbackup.exe running. So I do I fix the NTBACKUP problem?

Andy

Jason Tan

Dear Andy,

Thanks for posting!

I understand that the backup window does not show up. If I have
misunderstood your concern please feel free to let me know.

Based on my experience I would like to suggest you try the following steps
to isolate the issue.

Step 1: Please boot the system into Safe Mode environment and test the
issue. Safe Mode loads a minimally protected-mode configuration, disabling
Windows device drivers and using the standard VGA display adapter.

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On
a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems,
you can press the F8 key when you see the Boot Menu.
2. In "Windows Advanced Option Menu", use the arrow keys to select Safe
Mode with Networking, and then press ENTER.
3. If you are running other operating systems on the computer, click
Microsoft Windows on the list that is displayed and then press ENTER.

Step 2: Please perform a Clean Boot and verify if the issue persists.

To isolate the effect of third party applications, I would like to suggest
you perform a Clean Boot.

1. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in
the Open box, and then click OK.
2. In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button.
3. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
and then click the "Disable All" button.
4. Click OK and restart your computer.

If the issue persists please provide me with the following information.

1. Please run NTBACKUP.exe in command line. What is the result?
2. Please check if there is any related error in Event log.

Hope the information helps.

Best Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support