Backup Center unable to "see" NAS

I have a SimpleSync NAS (160GB) that I use to schedule full backups to under
XP. However, with Vista RTM, the Backup Center does not see my NAS, or
complains about my credentials.

To start, I open Backup Center:

1. Select "Create Backup Copies of your files and folders".
a. select network path (map drive does not appear in "On a hard disk,
CD, or DVD".
b. Enter network path (i.e. UNC path...\\simpleshare\NetFolder\Hobi\).
c. Prompted for credentials, and enter SimpleShare admin
account/password.

I receive the following error:

"The network share could not be accessed for the following reason:
No mapping between account names and security IDs was done.
(0x80070534)"

2. Performing Complete backup, doesn't allow the option of my NAS (Only
physical hard disks or DVD burning drive). To be honest, I'd much rather get
this option to work, more than incremental file backups.

As for my system, I have the NAS connected to my Netgear router, and have a
drive letter mapped...in fact, I even use the NAS as a print server and Vista
sees my printer, just fine. As I mentioned, I was able to use this same
setup to perform automated backups using NT Backup, without problem.

I should note that I was able to work around this problem by selecting one
of my local drives and selecting it for a full backup. However, I shouldn't
have to restore to a local drive, and then manually copy the backup file to
the NAS (even though I could script it to do so).

This is somewhat a duplicate issue to what others have expressed, but I seem
to be unable to resolve based on prior experience. Hence, I'm posting this
with some, I believe, unique information.

Please let me know if I might be missing something obvious...short of a
complete re-install (which I am planning on doing this weekend).

iceeagle

I think you need to use command line for Vista backup to use network drives.
During the beta, before RTM, Vista backup gui would not write to dynamic
disk in my computer, either.

-iceeagle

I'll investigate the command line alternative (it hadn't occurred to me...too
many years getting used to GUI, I guess).

In addition, I forgot about this one post that mentioned modifying the
regstry with the following key:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

However, I wasn't able to find anything via Google or Technet that
referenced this key with Vista Backups to NAS devices. Can anyone confirm
the necessity of using this key? Regardless, I'll give it a try this
evening, in the hopes that it'll get me further along.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the link, Jill...I'll check out the part about re-creating my
drive mapping.

In addition to my original query, why is it, when performing a full backup
to a local drive (my current work-around), Backup wouldn't allow me to simply
select my System partition (C:), but rather, selected both my C: and D:
partitions? The option to deselect were both grayed out, so I could deselect
my D: drive (where I install just my applications).

I didn't see this mentioned in the link you provided.

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

By "full backup" I'm assuming you mean Complete PC Backup? If so, this tool
requires that you back up all critical volumes, which include your system
and boot volumes. By doing so, we can ensure that after a restore your
computer will be bootable. If you just want to back up individual volumes
without concern for whether you can restore the system to a bootable state,
you can use wbadmin and just specify the volumes you want.

I need to put together an FAQ for Complete PC Backup :)

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

I'd like to thanks all guys input and kindly information provided.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/pages/file-backup-in-windows-vista-faq.aspx
| >> and scroll to the question "I'm trying to back up to a NAS device, but
| >> it's
| >> not working. How can I fix this?"
| >>
| >> As someone else mentioned, you can use wbadmin to do a Complete PC
Backup