Back to the Moon ... and then Mars

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
America will send a new generation of explorers to the moon aboard NASA’s Orion crew exploration vehicle. Making its first flights early in the next decade, Orion is part of the Constellation Program to send human explorers back to the moon, and then onward to Mars and other destinations in the solar system.

A component of the Vision for Space Exploration, Orion’s development is taking place in parallel with missions to complete the International Space Station using the space shuttle before the shuttle is retired in 2010.

Orion will be capable of carrying crew and cargo to the space station. It will be able to rendezvous with a lunar landing module and an Earth departure stage in low-Earth orbit to carry crews to the moon and, one day, to Mars-bound vehicles assembled in low-Earth orbit. Orion will be the Earth entry vehicle for lunar and Mars returns. Orion’s design will borrow its shape from the capsules of the past, but takes advantage of 21st century technology in computers, electronics, life support, propulsion and heat protection systems.

http://www.orionspacecraft.com/

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Incredible isn't it? I wish I was going to be around in 1000 years time to see what we get up to on other planets!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thats if the Chinese don't get there first .
laughingsmiley.gif

Ask a Question