avi in PPT 2002 - but not 2003

Dave James

I have a slide presentation in which an avi file will play in PPT 2002, but
not in PPT 2003. I even tried re-inserting the movie, but no go.

I checked another presentation with another avi file, and that movie worked
fine in both versions.

Any thoughts as to why this might be?

Glen Millar

Hello Dave,

First of all, I'd recommend you go to the help menu in Version 2003, and
select "Check for Updates". Install anything that is recommended for 2003,
and then see if the issue persists.

Glen Millar
Microsoft PPT MVP
http://www.powerpointworkbench.com/
Please tell us your ppt version, and get back to us here
Remove spaces from signature
Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com

Karl

Hello Dave,

Avi files may be different, you can find which codec an avi clip used by the
following steps:
Open it in windows media player,File->Property.

In addition, you can try updating DirectX to the latest version.

Regards,

Karl
Synchronize powerpoint with video,flash. No learning curve.
http://www.presentersoft.com

Dave James

I understand the issue with codecs - but that doesn't seem to explain (at
least to my understanding) why it would work in PPT 2002 and not in 2003.

Dave James

I always try to keep mine up-to-date - and I just confirmed that I have the
latest updates applied.

Dave James

Both are installed on the same machine. This particular clip works with 2002
and not with 2003 - although other clips play correctly in both.

When I double click on the clip in 2002, it plays. When I do the same with
2003, it goes black for apparently the length of the clip.

This happens in slideshow mode as well.

Echo S said:
Are PPT 2002 and 2003 on the same machine?

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]

Dave James said:
I understand the issue with codecs - but that doesn't seem to explain (at
least to my understanding) why it would work in PPT 2002 and not in 2003.

by
the

Echo S

Oh, man, that is very weird, and I don't have an explanation for you.
PPT 2002 is relying on the MCI Media Player to play the AVI, and that
seems to be going fine. PPT 2003 *should* rely on the MCI Media Player
to do this as well--and since 2002 and 2003 are on the same machine,
you'd *think* the AVI would run in 2003 just like it does in 2002.

I wonder if PPT 2003 is trying to hand the AVI off to the Windows Media
Player or something, and that's screwing stuff up? I honestly have no
idea what would be causing this behavior, though. Just talkin' through
my hat here.

Can you compare this AVI with the AVIs that play correctly in both 2002
and 2003? I wonder if the codec for this "bad" AVI is different. That's
the only explanation I can think of -- PPT 2003's not recognizing that
codec when it's calling the MCI Media Player.

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]
http://www.echosvoice.com

Dave James wrote:
I have a slide presentation in which an avi file will play in PPT
2002,
but
not in PPT 2003. I even tried re-inserting the movie, but no go.

I checked another presentation with another avi file, and that movie
worked
fine in both versions.

Any thoughts as to why this might be?

Dave James

I have two versions of the clip - both created with ULead Cool 3D - one uses
the Indeo 5 codec, the other the Cinepac codec.

Both play in 2002, neither play in 2003.

Another clip, captured video from a movie, not created in Ulead Cool 3D,
using the Cinepac codec, plays in both 2002 and 2003.

This is very strange.

Dave

Dave said:
Both are installed on the same machine. This particular clip works with 2002
and not with 2003 - although other clips play correctly in both.

When I double click on the clip in 2002, it plays. When I do the same with
2003, it goes black for apparently the length of the clip.

This happens in slideshow mode as well.

explain
(at used
by

Austin Myers

Hi Dave,

I too have ran into this strange behavior and am working with the powers
that be to track it down. I promise that as soon as I know something I'll
be sure to post it here. Wish I had a better answer...

Austin Myers
MS PowerPoint MVP Team

Dave James said:
I have two versions of the clip - both created with ULead Cool 3D - one
uses
the Indeo 5 codec, the other the Cinepac codec.

Both play in 2002, neither play in 2003.

Weird. You'd think with common codecs like those, the thing would play. Out
of curiosity, do these clips play in Windows Media Player?
Another clip, captured video from a movie, not created in Ulead Cool 3D,
using the Cinepac codec, plays in both 2002 and 2003.

This is very strange.

Yeah, that makes no sense to me at all.

John Langhans [MSFT]

[CRITICAL UPDATE - Anyone using Office 2003 should install the critical
update as soon as possible. From PowerPoint, choose "Help -> Check for
Updates".]

Hello Dave,

If you can create a small sample movie (less than 1 MByte in size) which
exhibits the same problem, I will be glad to get it to our testing
department to see if they can determine why it is not playing.

Just send the small sample movie to

john_a_langhans
at
hotmail
dot
com

John Langhans
Microsoft Corporation
Supportability Program Manager
Microsoft Office PowerPoint for Windows
Microsoft Office Picture Manager for Windows

For FAQ's, highlights and top issues, visit the Microsoft PowerPoint
support center at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=ppt
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbhowto

Use of any included script samples are subject to the terms specified at