Avast

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I use Avast as me AV on my laptop, an Asus G73swe. This morning I got a pop up from Avast saying there was an update, so I clicked it and the update started. When it were done it said I needed to restart my machine. So I did so. But then on restart I get POST, then boot scrteen, then logon screen, and once I type my password all I get is a black screen with the cursor.
Windows 7 Ultimate BTW

Reaction score
:( Oh dear sound serious, I am no expert I think I would boot in safe mode with internet connection and get rid of Avast and download Kaspersky free server based scan here is a link www.kaspersky.co.uk/virusscanner and then if and when re download MS Security Essentials direct from Microsoft Web site.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I ran Trend Micro Housecall and Malwarebytes in Safemode, and no nasties at all, I think I might just bite the bullet and reformat unless anybody else has a suggestion.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Win7 can do a repair, even better if you used the excellent backup/restore of Win7 pro & ultimate. :)

If you can get to the desktop, insert the Win7 DVD, if not, Boot to the Win7 DVD

:user:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Win7 can do a repair, even better if you used the excellent backup/restore of Win7 pro & ultimate. :)

If you can get to the desktop, insert the Win7 DVD, if not, Boot to the Win7 DVD

:user:

Sorted, I stuck me disk in and followed a few prompts and job done. Ta Mucks :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, to say this was unusual, and with such a quick remedy, was, uh... not common.

Reaction score
It is the Avast update had the same problem myself> booted from CD/DVD rom and did a repair when finished the avast was disabled by windows> uninstalled avast and installed AVG> PC runing fine now :thumb:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I have been using Antivir for as long as I remember for my Windows partition.:)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I used Avast for a number of years and never had any problems with updates (or anything else). :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm puzzled, what's best:

a) Use Avast and watch happily as your computer freezes and crashes.
b) Use AVG and know that even if your AV protection is not the best at least it's stable :D

Just use Antivir (ads) or Microsoft Security Essentials (Microsoft but hey....)

I've said this before but people who go on about how superior their choice of AV software is - how do they know? Why not admit like I do that you just don't know what the hell works best and just take a gamble?

The 'what's best' factor changes daily, hourly, even, depending on how up to date an AV software's database is, it's as simple as that.

So who do we listen to? You've got three choices - scan the web, bookmark all sites that do multi-testing of AV software regularly and then try to work out for yourself the discrepancies between them all.

Listen to your mate down the pub, which is roughly - but not entirely - aligned to listening to members here.

Get yourself a machine with a fresh OS installed then do your damndest to contract a virus with all of your AV software choices and see which does the best. Even better snag yourself a dozen or so new viruses from in the wild and see how they fare against different software.

The last method is probably the best although of course as databases shift the results could change within a twelve hour period.

How NOT to judge AV software is by declaring 'I've been using *whatever* for x amount of years now and I've never had a problem, I like the look of the software and it updates regularly'.

Go on everybody, carry on using what you think is best but the truth is none of them are 100% and to adopt this aurra of one-upmanship over choice of AV software is bordering on pathetic imo.

And of course always scan for malware using something like Malwarebytes and using a firewall's a pretty good idea as well.

FWIW since around '96 I've used, mainly: Nortons; Antivir; MSE and I have Avast on my media machine atm. And they're all rubbish! :lol:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
there are no 'best AVs' out there, it is a matter of opinion, I should have made that a little clearer ... but it is a concensis (sic?) that a few are better left to their own devices, I include AVG free in that.

use what you will, I do. :)

Ask a Question