Avast! Emergency Update

s|b

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 12:03:29 -0600, BillW50 wrote:

Newsgroups:
alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

You may want to try alt.comp.anti-virus next time...
But I noticed that the newer program versions have extra
protection for computer noobs which interfere with experienced users.

Do a custom installation next time and uncheck all "tools". Your n00bs
will only have 3 shields (of which Mail Shields can be disabled as
well).
Of course, if Avast is updating the program it
pops up a window asking if it is ok to install Google Toolbar and Google
Chrome. The problem is, if you are not there, it will pick it is ok on
its own after xx amount of minutes. Damn them, I hate Google anything!

I doubt that; AFAIK there is no (visible) timer during installation.
Anyway today on this machine AnVir Task Manager, warned me that Avast!
Emergency Update wants to run in startup. I know what it is suppose to
do, as it is suppose to override the regular updater (just in case it
gets corrupted or infected). And while I have seen this before, I think
this is how Avast sneaks the latest program version on some of my
computers. Although I wouldn't know for sure until I rebooted, which
could be months from now. Then I would have forgotten that I allowed
this service to run. So this time I blocked it with AnVir. Does anybody
know more about this than I do?

Yes, the people from avast!. You can use their webforum:
<http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0>

BillW50

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 12:03:29 -0600, BillW50 wrote:

Newsgroups:
alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

You may want to try alt.comp.anti-virus next time...
Thanks.

Do a custom installation next time and uncheck all "tools". Your n00bs
will only have 3 shields (of which Mail Shields can be disabled as
well).

I doubt that; AFAIK there is no (visible) timer during installation.

There is a whole thread on this nonsense (7 pages worth).

Topic: Google Chrome installed without my permission, very annoyed!
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=125379.0
Yes, the people from avast!. You can use their webforum:
<http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0>

P.S. I have intentionally set "Program Updates" to MANUAL...
which is supposed to tell avast neither to check for program
updates nor to automatically install them. I find it ironic
that so called "emergency updates" --- in this case, merely a
"migratory preparation" --- can defy this setting.

Topic: Emergency Update 2013-11-21?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=140730.msg1064992#msg1064992

Stan Brown

I have my free Avast Program Update set to "Ask when an update is
available" and WinPatrol alerted me when Avast tried to do the Emergency
Update bit.
However, I do have my Virus Definitions set to automatic update.

I have definitions set to automatic update (streaming), and program
set to manual update.

Avast changed the tray icon to indicate a alert, but did not perform
the update. When I open the Avast user interface, it says a new
program version is available but doesn't indicate any particular
urgency.

BillW50

Try using WinPatrol (free version) and it will notify you when Avast
tries the Emergency bit and you can just deny it.
I have my free Avast Program Update set to "Ask when an update is
available" and WinPatrol alerted me when Avast tried to do the Emergency
Update bit.
However, I do have my Virus Definitions set to automatic update.

Thanks Buffalo. I currently have AvastEmUpdate.exe blocked from ever
running. So I should be good for now.

BillW50

30+ machines, you say? I should make a note of that because you so rarely
mention it.

Have you ever been diagnosed with SPS? You show signs...

No, the real problem is some here can't recall what happened 5 minutes ago.

BillW50

I have definitions set to automatic update (streaming), and program
set to manual update.

Avast changed the tray icon to indicate a alert, but did not perform
the update. When I open the Avast user interface, it says a new
program version is available but doesn't indicate any particular
urgency.

P.S. I have intentionally set "Program Updates" to MANUAL...
which is supposed to tell avast neither to check for program
updates nor to automatically install them. I find it ironic
that so called "emergency updates" --- in this case, merely a
"migratory preparation" --- can defy this setting.

Topic: Emergency Update 2013-11-21?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=140730.msg1064992#msg1064992

Blue

BillW50 said:
Thanks Buffalo. I currently have AvastEmUpdate.exe blocked from ever
running. So I should be good for now.

Where did you find AvastEmUpdate.exe? It doesn't seem to be on my
computer and I'm using Avast!.

BillW50

I was wondering why 30+; are you in the maintenance or retail business
or something?
Yes.

I often think I've got too many computers (meaning Windows
PCs) here, but only four are in anything like frequent use, and I don't
think the total even including possibly non-working ones would reach 15.

The vast majority of mine are still fully operational.

BillW50

Where did you find AvastEmUpdate.exe? It doesn't seem to be on my
computer and I'm using Avast!.

Well I got suspicious of v9, so I uninstalled it and downloaded and
installed the last version of v7 from oldapps and that file wanted to
run at startup (so I blocked it). Later versions they could have changed
the filename.

No, I just checked on another machine that has Avast v2014.9.0.2011 and
it is there too. Mine is right in the "Program Files\Avast" folder.

Blue

BillW50 said:
Well I got suspicious of v9, so I uninstalled it and downloaded and
installed the last version of v7 from oldapps and that file wanted to
run at startup (so I blocked it). Later versions they could have changed
the filename.

No, I just checked on another machine that has Avast v2014.9.0.2011 and
it is there too. Mine is right in the "Program Files\Avast" folder.

It's there where you say it is but Win 7's search couldn't find it. It
hasn't caused me any problems so far nor has it updated without my input.

BillW50

It's there where you say it is but Win 7's search couldn't find it. It
hasn't caused me any problems so far nor has it updated without my input.

If you find a folder in there named emupdate, I am pretty sure it did it
without your knowledge. And the number of exe files in there is how many
times it had done so. That folder shouldn't exist if it never did an
emergency update yet.

Yes Windows 7 search doesn't find a lot of things. Windows 8 isn't too
bad, but I hear Windows 8.1 search is awful. At least Agent Ransack
works really well for searches. Have you heard of it?

Blue

BillW50 said:
If you find a folder in there named emupdate, I am pretty sure it did it
without your knowledge. And the number of exe files in there is how many
times it had done so. That folder shouldn't exist if it never did an
emergency update yet.

Well, no folder, just an .exe that has a shield on it.
Yes Windows 7 search doesn't find a lot of things. Windows 8 isn't too
bad, but I hear Windows 8.1 search is awful. At least Agent Ransack
works really well for searches. Have you heard of it?

It usually suits my needs.

BillW50

Well, no folder, just an .exe that has a shield on it.

Then it looks you are ok. It looks like only a small percentage of
users, this thing trips, activates and automatically updates your Avast
program to the latest version regardless of your settings. I have a
hunch, this might also install Chrome without your knowledge too.

Nil

Then it looks you are ok. It looks like only a small percentage of
users, this thing trips, activates and automatically updates your
Avast program to the latest version regardless of your settings. I
have a hunch, this might also install Chrome without your
knowledge too.

I have more than a hunch that it does NOT. I've been using Avast for
years and I've never had Chrome installed, with or without my
knowledge.

BillW50

I have more than a hunch that it does NOT. I've been using Avast for
years and I've never had Chrome installed, with or without my
knowledge.

Oh course, I have 30+ machines and I only know two that has done this.
You need a few more dozens of machines before you might see it.

Nil

Oh course, I have 30+ machines and I only know two that has done
this. You need a few more dozens of machines before you might see
it.

I don't think so. Computer programs are designed to repeat certain
actions reliably. In a case like this, with several identical
installations, without any outside interferance by me, they would all
act the same. I've installed Avast on dozens of systems, and none of
them have or have had Chrome installed on them.

On the other hand, Avast is obviously out to get you, so in your case,
all bets are off.

BillW50

I don't think so. Computer programs are designed to repeat certain
actions reliably. In a case like this, with several identical
installations, without any outside interferance by me, they would all
act the same. I've installed Avast on dozens of systems, and none of
them have or have had Chrome installed on them.

Nobody had any these until a few months ago. This is a new thing that
has been happening. I too have been using Avast for years and I never
had this happen until just recently.
On the other hand, Avast is obviously out to get you, so in your case,
all bets are off.

How could they get me? They tried to do this secretly and I am to smart
to let that happen. They would be better off to try this on you, since
you wouldn't believe your own lying eyes anyway. ;-)

Blue

BillW50 said:
Then it looks you are ok. It looks like only a small percentage of
users, this thing trips, activates and automatically updates your Avast
program to the latest version regardless of your settings.

Probably because I always upgrade Avast! when asked.
I have a
hunch, this might also install Chrome without your knowledge too.

I already have Chrome installed.