Aux. PS connector for GeForce 7800 AGP?

geronimo

I plan to get a GeForce 7800 AGP video card, and it requires a
special power supply connection. Would this be a connector with four
pins and arranged in a square, AKA an ATX-12 connector? THere are
some 450 watt power supplies that have a 20-pin and 10-pin ATX
connector (as well as the usual other ones), but no 4-pin ATX-12
connector. I was looking at this PS to power my PC with the GeForce
7800 upgrade:

http://cgi.ebay.com/OKIA-450w-Max-Q...3QQihZ014QQcategoryZ80173QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

but I need to be sure it has the right auxiliary connector. I think
this is the same connector used by some hard drives?

My PC may be a bit power-hungry as I have four WD non-SATA drives in
the system.

Thanks, geronimo

Michael Hawes

geronimo said:
I plan to get a GeForce 7800 AGP video card, and it requires a
special power supply connection. Would this be a connector with four
pins and arranged in a square, AKA an ATX-12 connector? THere are
some 450 watt power supplies that have a 20-pin and 10-pin ATX
connector (as well as the usual other ones), but no 4-pin ATX-12
connector. I was looking at this PS to power my PC with the GeForce
7800 upgrade:

http://cgi.ebay.com/OKIA-450w-Max-Q...3QQihZ014QQcategoryZ80173QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

but I need to be sure it has the right auxiliary connector. I think
this is the same connector used by some hard drives?

My PC may be a bit power-hungry as I have four WD non-SATA drives in
the system.

Thanks, geronimo

You don't say what CPU. The video card should come with a power cable,
which will connect to std Molex. That PSU is only rated at 216W on the 12V
rail. That will NOT be enough for the CPU, GF7800 and 4 hard drives! Please
get a decent 450W PSU with at least 2 12V rails.
Mike.

EDM

The cards use a 6-pin (3 x 3) PCI-E power connector. If your
psu doesn't have this type of lead, adaters are readily available.
Many Nvidia cards even ship with an adapter so you can use a
standard 4-pin Molex power lead from your psu.

GuessWho

geronimo said:
I plan to get a GeForce 7800 AGP video card, and it requires a
special power supply connection. Would this be a connector with four
pins and arranged in a square, AKA an ATX-12 connector? THere are
some 450 watt power supplies that have a 20-pin and 10-pin ATX
connector (as well as the usual other ones), but no 4-pin ATX-12
connector. I was looking at this PS to power my PC with the GeForce
7800 upgrade:

http://cgi.ebay.com/OKIA-450w-Max-Q...3QQihZ014QQcategoryZ80173QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

but I need to be sure it has the right auxiliary connector. I think
this is the same connector used by some hard drives?

My PC may be a bit power-hungry as I have four WD non-SATA drives in
the system.

Thanks, geronimo

geronimo,

Here's a link for psu with the connector you need:

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4587977?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

The 400 and 500 watt version are free after rebate and the 400 watt shipped
free when I ordered it.

As other posters have indicated there are adapters that attach to 2 molex
connectors and the other end to the gpu.

Wayne

Johanna

I've got that card. (BFG nVidia GeForce 7800 GS OC)
It doesn't require anything above a normal power connection for the
fan... Very straightforward card.
I have got a 450 W PSU which is perfectly adequate... It has plenty
of available connectors for the fan's power supply.
The power connector has four holes in a line formation, e.g. OOOO I
don't know what that's called though.
Unless that isplugged into a connecting cord, the card will scream like
a banshee! I had to plug it in even though I don't use it after
upgrading the fan and overriding the cards connector.
Hope this helps
Jo

DaveW

Wrong type of connector. The video card requires a Molex type 4-conductor
socket.

John Doe

Michael Hawes said:
That PSU is only rated at 216W on the 12V
rail. That will NOT be enough for the CPU, GF7800 and 4 hard
drives! Please get a decent 450W PSU with at least 2 12V rails.
Mike.

Recently shopping for a power supply, I noticed what people say
about non-brand name PSUs, basically the wattage rating is
meaningless. It can be a waste and I guess potentially mess up your
system. Even some of the well liked PSUs on NewEgg were
specifications-wise underpowered.

John Doe

GuessWho said:
"geronimo" <Jamesw grandecom.net> wrote in message

Here's a link for psu with the connector you need:

And if he knows how to solder, he can remove the connector and put
it on a real power supply.

<Snipped link to "free" power supply>

But seriously.

geronimo

You are right, I was just looking at the basic power rating of the
PSU...but the rating for 12 volts output was only 18 amps.

What a deal!!! But The PSU I have now is an older ATX PSU (in an ATX
full tower case). It is about 6 in wide, and about 3.75 in high. One
reviewer said that it was oversize and didn't fit in his case. Also,
even if it has the standard "footprint" for ATX cases, the big fan is
on the top....so I will have to cut a hole in the top of the case and
screen it. Major pain to do that.

I have heard quite a few bad reports about Frys'...that is another
issue. I see some vendors are selling it for $10 after rebate...might
be worth the extra amount to avoid Frys'. Thanks Geronimo

geronimo

Actually I guess the big fan on top of the Ultra V is not pulling in
air but exhausting air....its pulled in through the perforations on
the rear? There is about a 3/8 in space between the top of the
existing PSU and the case top....so I guess there is just enough space
for the Ultra V PSU to mount in and for the fan to operate. If iiithe
fan guard sticks up very much at all it will be bumping right up
against the top of the case! Geronimo

Michael Hawes

geronimo said:
Actually I guess the big fan on top of the Ultra V is not pulling in
air but exhausting air....its pulled in through the perforations on
the rear? There is about a 3/8 in space between the top of the
existing PSU and the case top....so I guess there is just enough space
for the Ultra V PSU to mount in and for the fan to operate. If iiithe
fan guard sticks up very much at all it will be bumping right up
against the top of the case! Geronimo
Are you sure you are not trying to install upside down? The ads show it
that way up for clarity, but it should be mounted with the fan facing down
towards CPU and should collect hot air from inside the case and blow it out
the back.
Mike.

geronimo

Oh....I assumed the photo was showing it top-side-up. No problem at
all then! That big fan sucking up the CPU fan's discharge air should
help to keep the inside cooler. Thanks, Geronimo