Automatic numbering of Headings, subheadings, etc

Tom Duprex

I have Word 97/windows 98. I would appreciate information on how WORD
automatically handles titles, sub headings, etc. For example if I
start a document with I. Purpose, then II. Introduction, then say III.
Performance Standards, Word automatically will generate the II. After
I type in I. Purpose and tab the word Purpose over 5 spaces. I can
then go on and generate the other headings and Word will automatically
generate the roman numerals. When I go back to then put some text
after a heading when I do a return, Word generates an injected roman
numeral in sequence and I have to play games to make things right. I
need to read up on this feature, and I have gone through Word97 AT A
Glance, Word 97 Step by Step, and Word's Help file. I can't find any
info. I would appreciate input as to where I can read up on this
feature and how to use it.

TIA

TF

Tom

What you have done is create a numbered list rather than headings. This is
part of Words AutoFormat As You Type functions and is useful if you know
what is happening! (I guess that you are a relative newbie to Word?) If you
insert a new paragraph between numbered lists (sometimes) it will insert a
new numbered row and increment all the numbers below.

What you need to do is to create a heading by typing in the heading text
without a number and then apply the Heading Style. You use Format, Style to
change the heading styles to match your needs (in this case with Roman
Numbering and not Arabic numbering). By default, a heading style is followed
by the normal paragraph style, so you won't have the problem you are
experiencing now.

One of the many compelling advantages of using Heading Styles is that you
can create a ToC (Table of Contents) automatically which can be updated
dynamically as you add or remove headings. If you visit the site in my
signature block, you'll find loads of useful information and tutorials and
links to other MVP's sites with more information and tutorials.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Tom Duprex" <tduprex[at]gtcinternet[dot]com> wrote in message
[...]
:
: TIA