'Automatic' change to Line Chart from XY Scatter Chart - cannotchange back

Daniel

Hello,

I've been working with (x,y) data which is typically ordered in
groups, but the groups are unordered (e.g. points 50->100 then points
151->101 then points 49->1). I add the appropriate index (x-value)
and then re-order the data based on that index. The index is a
distance (in metres) and the points are about 1 metre apart (but not
exactly 1 m). There are typically 3 or 4 series of data on the
graph.

Before I re-order the data, I graph the data with an XY-scatter chart
and it usually* works fine. After I re-order the data based on the
index, it magically becomes a line chart instead of an xy scatter
chart. When I check the chart type (right-click on the series ->
"Chart type") it reports that it is still an xy scatter chart.

*Sometimes it doesn't work if there is a column "A" and my index is in
column "B".

I tried changing to a line chart and changing back, but this doesn't
help. I also tried checking/setting the chart type to xy scatter
using a macro, but that also didn't work. Sometimes reverting to a
less ordered state of data (cutting-pasting chunks of data around)
will fix it, but not always.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong/is happening here? I appreciate any
help.

Jim Cone

Debra Dalgleish expounded on Line vs. Scatter charts yesterday at...
http://blog.contextures.com/ (just down the page a little)
She also includes a link for more information.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

..
..
..

"Daniel" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Jim.

I understand the distinction between scatter and line charts. The
problem is that Excel is automagically converting my xy scatter chart
to a line chart (though this doesn't show up in any dialogue box) and
refuses to use an xy scatter chart.

Daniel