XY plot in pivot charts

H

Harley Feldman

Is there a way to do XY Scatter plots from a pivot chart? If I try to build a pivot chart with XY Scatter, Excel complains that XY Scatter is not allowed. If a chart is built, then a right click on the chart and "Source Data" is grayed out. Under VB, in a SeriesCollection, XValues is not allowed - type mismatch.

I have copy-and-pasted the pivot chart using paste values only. From this sheet, I can create a XY Scatter chart with no problem. However, I want to have the drop downs associated with a pivot chart allowing me to select rows, columns and page fields dynamically.

Any ideas,

Harley

H

Harley Feldman

Debra,

Thanks for the hint. I have already done this by creating a copy of the sheet with pasted values. The XY Scatter chart works fine. However, what I wanted to do was create the pivot chart and be able to use the drop downs for the row, column and page variables that are normally created with a pivot chart. When I select particular elements in the drop downs, then I would like the pivot chart to modify itself automatically, but be able to create XY scatter plots. I cannot seem to find a way to do this given the restrictions placed by Excel.

The reason that XY scatter is so important is that the data is time driven in the x-axis. The y values are all measured at particular points in time. I will keep looking for a solution, but I am getting the message that Excel does not allow this kind of behavior.

Harley

Ask a Question