autoexec.nt deletion

lambros

IN SEVERALL CASES AFTER CLEANING COMPUTER , A MESSAGE FOR
REBOOT NEED IS DISPLAYED.AT THIS POINT YOU CAN SEE
A "LARGE" IT'S NOW SAFE TO TURN YOUR COMPUTER MESSAGE!!
AFTER RESTART LOOK UP AT C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32 FOR AUTOEXEC.NT
BECAUSE AT CLEANING PROCEDURE OFTEN IS BEEING DELETED!!
IF YOU HAVE A COPY OF THIS FILE PASTE INTO THE CERTAIN
DIRECTORY & YOU WILL NOT HAVE PROBLEMS.TO UNDERSTAND IF
YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM LOOK OUT FOR MESSAGES "WINDOWS CAN
NOT WORK AT 16bit SUBSYSTEM OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT WITH
APPLICATIONS.
AS FOR SECURITY FORGET IT BECAUSE MALICIOUS SOFTWARE STILL
INSTALLED PASSING THROUGH SHIELD!!! (INVALID INSTALLATION
MESAAGES DURING STBY MODE!!!
HEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Dodson [MSFT]

I do not understand the issue you are running into. Can you clarify the
issue without using all caps?

-steve

Steve Dodson [MSFT]
MCSE, CISSP
PSS Security

originated.

lambros

dear steve ,sorry for caps
in a win2k sp4 system (notebook) after using software a
reboot option apears.if you do this 16 bit subsystem is
destroyed by deleted autoexec.nt
now if you have a copy of the file it's ok if you don't ??
also ist toolbal side bar & other .exe files at c:\winnt
folder do not removed and keep regenerating them selfs.
so its endless procedure without performing anything!!

From: "lambros" <[email protected]>
Sender: "lambros" <[email protected]>
Subject: autoexec.nt deletion
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:19:53 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking

IN SEVERALL CASES AFTER CLEANING COMPUTER , A MESSAGE FOR
REBOOT NEED IS DISPLAYED.AT THIS POINT YOU CAN SEE
A "LARGE" IT'S NOW SAFE TO TURN YOUR COMPUTER MESSAGE!!
AFTER RESTART LOOK UP AT C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32 FOR AUTOEXEC.NT
BECAUSE AT CLEANING PROCEDURE OFTEN IS BEEING DELETED!!
IF YOU HAVE A COPY OF THIS FILE PASTE INTO THE CERTAIN
DIRECTORY & YOU WILL NOT HAVE PROBLEMS.TO UNDERSTAND IF
YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM LOOK OUT FOR MESSAGES "WINDOWS CAN
NOT WORK AT 16bit SUBSYSTEM OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT WITH
APPLICATIONS.
AS FOR SECURITY FORGET IT BECAUSE MALICIOUS SOFTWARE STILL
INSTALLED PASSING THROUGH SHIELD!!! (INVALID INSTALLATION
MESAAGES DURING STBY MODE!!!
HEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

.

Bob

After I installed the MS anti-spyware on four computers,
two of them get thie following message on reboot - "16
bit Windows Subsystem C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt The
file system is not suitable for runnin MS Dos and
Microsoft Window applications

The file was not in that directory, but I located it
elsewhere on the computer and put it back in the system32
folder - still get he message on reboot. All are MS XP
one with SP2 and the others without.

Its like something is tring to load on startup that needs
the file and can't find it - but its there now. Even got
the meesage on one computer when inserting a cdrom with
printer drivers. Any suggestions?
From: "lambros" <[email protected]>
Sender: "lambros" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:19:53 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking

IN SEVERALL CASES AFTER CLEANING COMPUTER , A MESSAGE FOR
REBOOT NEED IS DISPLAYED.AT THIS POINT YOU CAN SEE
A "LARGE" IT'S NOW SAFE TO TURN YOUR COMPUTER MESSAGE!!
AFTER RESTART LOOK UP AT C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32 FOR AUTOEXEC.NT
BECAUSE AT CLEANING PROCEDURE OFTEN IS BEEING DELETED!!
IF YOU HAVE A COPY OF THIS FILE PASTE INTO THE CERTAIN
DIRECTORY & YOU WILL NOT HAVE PROBLEMS.TO UNDERSTAND IF
YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM LOOK OUT FOR MESSAGES "WINDOWS CAN
NOT WORK AT 16bit SUBSYSTEM OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT WITH
APPLICATIONS.
AS FOR SECURITY FORGET IT BECAUSE MALICIOUS SOFTWARE STILL
INSTALLED PASSING THROUGH SHIELD!!! (INVALID INSTALLATION
MESAAGES DURING STBY MODE!!!
HEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

.
.

Bob

Thanks Jim. I might give that a try, though I found on
another MS info page:
us;324767

Where it says I can just replace those three files by
running an expand command for them from the CDrom. But
that was written before SP2 came out and I wasn't sure if
those files would be okay to reinstall since I have put
SP2 on the computer.

Though I think you may have found at least part of the
root cause. Just about everytime I run the beta spyware
scan it finds that windupdate.exe file you mentioned. It
keeps saying it has deleted it, but it keeps showing up.
I wonder it that is going to keep corrupting those three
files after I replace them if it keeps coming back. I
wish these anti-spyware programs would simply stop this
stuff from getting put on the comnputer rather than
having to go find and remove them every time you fnish
going on the internet. Thanks for your help.

Bob

From: "lambros" <[email protected]>
Sender: "lambros" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:19:53 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking

IN SEVERALL CASES AFTER CLEANING COMPUTER , A MESSAGE FOR
REBOOT NEED IS DISPLAYED.AT THIS POINT YOU CAN SEE
A "LARGE" IT'S NOW SAFE TO TURN YOUR COMPUTER MESSAGE!!
AFTER RESTART LOOK UP AT C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32 FOR AUTOEXEC.NT
BECAUSE AT CLEANING PROCEDURE OFTEN IS BEEING DELETED!!
IF YOU HAVE A COPY OF THIS FILE PASTE INTO THE CERTAIN
DIRECTORY & YOU WILL NOT HAVE PROBLEMS.TO UNDERSTAND IF
YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM LOOK OUT FOR MESSAGES "WINDOWS CAN
NOT WORK AT 16bit SUBSYSTEM OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT WITH
APPLICATIONS.
AS FOR SECURITY FORGET IT BECAUSE MALICIOUS SOFTWARE STILL
INSTALLED PASSING THROUGH SHIELD!!! (INVALID INSTALLATION
MESAAGES DURING STBY MODE!!!
HEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

.

.

.

Jim Byrd

Hi Bob - Yes, that file is the proximate cause of the problem (at least for
some cases). You need to delete all the things in flrman1's fix as I posted
previously. Also, you might try running the Beta Spyware program _twice_
while in _Safe_ mode (or from a Clean Boot) after doing those
deletions. As to prevention measures, you might want to take a look at my
Blog about this here for some steps you might take:

Bob said:
[...]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms

From: "lambros" <[email protected]>
Sender: "lambros" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:19:53 -0800
Newsgroups:
microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking