autocomplete for forms does not work

Dan Gerson

I'm on XP pro, haven't installed SP2. I have IE 6.

The auto suggest/complete doesn't work on forms. Nothing is suggested.
I have all the correct boxes checked in tools/internet options/content
tab/auto complete. I also have use inline autocomplete checked on the
advanced tab.

Can anybody help?

Jan Il

Hi Dan :)

How to set Autocomplete for addresses in the Address Bar

In order to enable the Autocomplete, do the following:

Go to Tools | Internet Options | Click the Content tab. Click the button
that says Autocomplete. Check Web Addresses and all other items you want
used with Autocomplete. Click OK

On the General tab look for the section on History. Set the Day to keep
pages in history to how many days you want to keep pages in the History.

or..........................

Autocomplete not working

Work through the possible solutions at
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers4.htm#autocomplete

Then see:

If these steps do not resolve your problem, please post back to this thread
with the details and any error messages.

Hope this helps

Jan :)
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Please reply to the newsgroup so others may benefit.
Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.

How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Dan Gerson

I don't mean to be rude, but it appears you didn't read my original
message. I said in my message that I've already done the
tools/internet optiosn/content tab bit. The two links you suggest are
for stopping autocomplete, not for getting it to work. I don't need to
stop it. I need to get it to work.

There are no error messages. I just don't get a list of suggested
entries for forms and user ids.

Don Varnau

Hi,
You may have a damaged registry key.

Try this:
With no programs open,
Run REGEDIT and make your way to this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Software
Microsoft Internet Explorer
IntelliForms
SPW
Export that key (Registry> Export- just in case you wish to undo the
change) then delete it- just the SPW key.
Restart the computer.

If unsuccessful with that, something at
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers2.htm#save_password may help.

Don

Jan Il

Hi Dan :)

As Don suggested, you may have a corrupted folder. Also, check the
information here and see if it will provide information for you.

Addresses Are Not Resolved When the AutoComplete Feature Is Enabled
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q230592#kb1

It may also be necessary to repair your IE. If you need assistance with this
please post back here and we will provide the instructions for you.

If these steps do not resolve your problem, please post back to this thread
with the details and any error messages.

Hope this helps

Jan :)
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Please reply to the newsgroup so others may benefit.
Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.

How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Dan Gerson

Okay none of those suggestions worked.

There is no SPW key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet
Explorer/ IntelliForms on my box.

Also, in case I haven't made it clear, I'm only having problems with
formsuggest on forms and userids. The address bar autocomplete works
fine and I am not interested in saving passwords. Jan and Don have
both directed me to articles and fixes that address those things that
are not a problem or I'm not interested in.

I have downloaded the latest copy of IE. Version
6.0.2800.1106.xpclnt_qfe.021108-210715

Any other suggestions. Could IE be damaged even though I've downloaded
a new copy? How do I fix it?

Don Varnau

I know it doen't seem logical the deleting the SPW key should help with
Forms Autocomplete, but I've had people report that it worked.

Next, you might try a repair of IE6. You should go to Windows Update after
using any of these methods. You may need to reinstall updates.
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm >>> #12

Don
--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

Dan Gerson said:
[...]

okay I tried repairing IE6 using the download from that website. It
finished fine but didn't fix the problem.

More suggestions, please?