Auto-Fill Addresses

Glenn Dulmage

In Outlook Express I was able to start typing and e-mail address (e.g., gdu)
and it would fill in the rest for me. Is this possible to do in Windows
Mail and, if so, how do I set it up?

--

Glenn T. Dulmage
207 Valley Road

Gary VanderMolen

This is known as the auto-complete feature. It doesn't work
very well in Windows Mail. WM only remembers a maximum
of the last 29 recipients you've sent mail to.

The only way you can get this feature to work better is to
upgrade to Windows Live Mail:
http://get.live.com/en-us/betas/maildesktop_betas

Gary VanderMolen

Larry Cohen

Windows Mail auto-fill feature does not work the same way as in Outlook
Express.
It will remember some last typed addresses and show you them as you type in
a drop-down box, but that is NOT AUTO-FILL.
In OE as you typed, the program would show you matching entries in reverse
video.
Windows Mail does not show you - you have to type at least 3 or 4 characters
of the email address, then click the Tab or Return key. If there is a
match, it will replace your typed entry with the entire email address (the
friendly portion first and last name, and the email address).
If it does not find an entry, click back on the characters you typed, and
click the icon showing a person (it says Check under it if you have labels
on). It will then show you the closest matching entries.
I also use the contacts listing and the search bar. See Alphabetizing
Contacts in this forum for lengthy discussion.