Audio problem

Chris Watts

Not directly Powerpoint but presentation-related.

When playing audio, from a Powerpoint presentation, I can mix with it
virtually anything. Except that is a microphone! Windows XP seems to block
that unless you want to record the mixed audio! Argh frustration. I have
searched high and low for software and even hardware to do the task - but
nothing!

My requirement is simple. I wish to mix the audio output from a Powerpoint
presentation (either an audio file or a linked video) together with a live
microphone input - and for the output to go to the speakers. Can anybody
suggest how to achieve this, or find out where to do it?

TIA
Chris

Jean-Pierre Forestier [MVP[

I propose this (I've done it several times)
Use AUDACITY (free) Choose Mix stereo for the recording. Press the red
recording button and start your slideshow: y'll be able to record the sound
of the presentation.
Save as wave
Now choose microphone, press the red button and start your slideshow: speak
to add your narration
Save as wav
Close and re open audacity
menu Project/Import audio: import the first file then import the narration
file
File save as wav to mix both
Insert this new file in your presentation
I'm wandering if I'm clear enough?

Chris Watts

Very clear! But not what is required.
The microphone input has to be live and not-pre-recorded.

Thanks anyway
Chris

Chris Watts said:
Not directly Powerpoint but presentation-related.

When playing audio, from a Powerpoint presentation, I can mix with it
virtually anything. Except that is a microphone! Windows XP seems to
block that unless you want to record the mixed audio! Argh frustration.
I have searched high and low for software and even hardware to do the
task - but nothing!

My requirement is simple. I wish to mix the audio output from a
Powerpoint presentation (either an audio file or a linked video) together
with a live microphone input - and for the output to go to the speakers.
Can anybody suggest how to achieve this, or find out where to do it?

TIA
Chris

Jean-Pierre Forestier [MVP[

I suppose y're using "Add a narration". If so, have you tested it (there is
a window for that purpose)?
Are you sure your sound card is configured as it must for recording from a
microphone? (Select Start > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices
Click on the Audio tab and choose the right device; In the Sound Recording
section, select the appropriate device to record)

"Jean-Pierre Forestier [MVP[" <jeaNONn-pierre.forestier@worl NON
donline.fr> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
I propose this (I've done it several times)
Use AUDACITY (free) Choose Mix stereo for the recording. Press the red
recording button and start your slideshow: y'll be able to record the
sound of the presentation.
Save as wave
Now choose microphone, press the red button and start your slideshow:
speak to add your narration
Save as wav
Close and re open audacity
menu Project/Import audio: import the first file then import the
narration file
File save as wav to mix both
Insert this new file in your presentation
I'm wandering if I'm clear enough?

Chris Watts

Jean-Pierre, thanks but I do not seem to have got across the point that I DO
NOT WANT TO RECORD the narration - that must be LIVE!

cheers

"Chris Watts" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de (e-mail address removed)...
Not directly Powerpoint but presentation-related.

When playing audio, from a Powerpoint presentation, I can mix with it
virtually anything. Except that is a microphone! Windows XP seems to
block that unless you want to record the mixed audio! Argh
frustration. I have searched high and low for software and even
hardware to do the task - but nothing!

My requirement is simple. I wish to mix the audio output from a
Powerpoint presentation (either an audio file or a linked video)
together with a live microphone input - and for the output to go to the
speakers. Can anybody suggest how to achieve this, or find out where to
do it?

TIA
Chris

Chris Watts

Thanks Steve.
I though tthat was going to be the answer. Nothing compact off the shelf
harware-wise that does this so it looks as if I will have to blow the dust
off my soldering iron! Oh and yes, I was planning to use stand-alone
external computer speakers with small amp inside.

cheers
Chrsi

Chris Watts

Thanks Steve. I am in the UK so shipping costs from the US make them a bit
prohibative - but I have tried UK equivalents.
cheers
Chris