Audio file playlist selections

Art

I have a bunch of music files (mp3) on CD, and it occurred to me that
it would be a lot nicer to bypass the use of CD entirely and arrange
to have a few desktop icons which invoke favorite playlists. I found
this was easy to do with VLC:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

VLC allows you to create different playlists, and it turned out to be
really convenient and easy to do what I want with batch files since
VLC accepts different playlists on the command line. For example,
one of my batches is:

@echo off
vlc c:\music\art.m3U

where art is the name I asigned to a playlist when I Saved the
playlist in vlc and m3u is the file extension vlc assigns to
playlists. The c:\music folder is where the group of mp3s on the
playlist is stored. I arbitrarily decided to store the playlist files
in the associated folders. The batches are written to reside in the
same folder as vlc.exe. I name a batch something like Art's Jazz
Favorites and I select a musical-looking icon for it. Works out
beautifully. VLC not only plays all the files in sequence but it also
automatically loops back to the first one and starts over.

I could complicate the batch slightly and have it ask me which
playlist I want. Then instead of several icons, I'd have just one.

Now, one would think that of all the many players available, that
there would be one that handles what I wanted to do without forcing
the user to come up with such a scheme. So my question is ... anyone
know of any such players? Seems most players have capabilities of
doing everything except the very simple ... and very nice and handy
thing I created for myself.

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

dadiOH

Art said:
[...]

Winamp for one. Actually, any that will play using a playlist.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH

Art said:
VLC uses a playlist but it doesn't have a "select playlist"
capability. I've not yet seen any that do.

As I said, Winamp (Load>Playlist) (whether or not that replaces the
current playlist or adds to it depends on whether one has set Winamp's
preferences to "enqueue" as default). I'm sure there are many others as
well.

One could always...
1. associate m3u with the player
2. make "open" the default action
(the above in Settings-Folder options-File types)
3. stick the playlists in a folder
4. make a shortcut to the folder.
Clicking on the shortcut gets you your playlists, clicking on a playlist
opens it in the player.

Simple.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dsmey

Yeah, with Winamp as the default player for .m3u, I've simply written
an HTML page for myself with links to my playlists. Same quick result.

Susan Bugher

Art said:
[...]

I dunno if this will do what you want or not. . .

Program: Playlist Creator
Company: odd gravITy
Ware: (Donationware) (free)
http://www.oddgravity.de/