ati2 events


W

William B. Lurie

I wonder if anyone can offer an understandable explanation
for the error shown by the following event:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ati2mtag
Event Category: CRT
Event ID: 45062
Date: 3/11/2010
Time: 6:50:12 AM
User: N/A
Computer: COMPAQ-2006
Description:
CRT invalid display type
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 5a 00 ......Z.
0008: 2c 00 00 00 06 b0 00 c0 ,....°.À
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

No lead that I've followed up to now gives me a clue as
to what is invalid about my CRT display type. Of course,
the system has been running for a couple of years and nothing
has been changed.....but on the other hand, it annoys me to
see those red X's when the system doesn't appear to be broken.
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

Jose

I wonder if anyone can offer an understandable explanation
for the error shown by the following event:

Event Type:     Error
Event Source:   ati2mtag
Event Category: CRT
Event ID:       45062
Date:           3/11/2010
Time:           6:50:12 AM
User:           N/A
Computer:       COMPAQ-2006
Description:
CRT invalid display type
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 5a 00   ......Z.
0008: 2c 00 00 00 06 b0 00 c0   ,....°.À
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........

No lead that I've followed up to now gives me a clue as
to what is invalid about my CRT display type. Of course,
the system has been running for a couple of years and nothing
has been changed.....but on the other hand, it annoys me to
see those red X's when the system doesn't appear to be broken.
Event #45062,Source: ati2mtag , Desc: CRT invalid display type:

Here is an old post about this problem.

Source:As per ATI: "When a digital panel connected to the graphics
card the Windows system log will show the error CRT invalid display
type, the source is ati2mtag. This occurs with Catalyst 7.7 and
higher. This error will not cause any issues to the system or
performance. If you do not want to see the error, the workaround is to
install Catalyst 7.6". See the link to "AMD Knowledge Base Topic
737-29385" for more information.
Symptoms:

Solution:
This error will not cause any issues to the system or performance. If
you do not want to see the error, the workaround is to install
Catalyst 7.6.

ATI Engineering has been advised of this issue and is investigating.
Any updates will be published when they become available




I don't know how to check to see what version of Catalyst you are
using or what you need to be using but if you provide more information
maybe we can figure it out.

You might find out with a little snooping:

Right click an open area on your desktop, select Properties, Settings,
Advanced and see if there is an options tab or something like that
where it might say the Catalyst version.

What kind of monitor are you using?

Do you see this when you boot, shutdown, watch videos, play a game,
just any old time, only once in a while and you don't know why, etc.

Please provide additional information about your system:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select
All, Copy and then paste the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User
Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just
delete it from the pasted information.

This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork.

For video driver information, expand the Components, click Display,
click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste the information.

..
 
W

William B. Lurie

Jose said:
Event #45062,Source: ati2mtag , Desc: CRT invalid display type:

Here is an old post about this problem.

Source:As per ATI: "When a digital panel connected to the graphics
card the Windows system log will show the error CRT invalid display
type, the source is ati2mtag. This occurs with Catalyst 7.7 and
higher. This error will not cause any issues to the system or
performance. If you do not want to see the error, the workaround is to
install Catalyst 7.6". See the link to "AMD Knowledge Base Topic
737-29385" for more information.
Symptoms:

Solution:
This error will not cause any issues to the system or performance. If
you do not want to see the error, the workaround is to install
Catalyst 7.6.

ATI Engineering has been advised of this issue and is investigating.
Any updates will be published when they become available




I don't know how to check to see what version of Catalyst you are
using or what you need to be using but if you provide more information
maybe we can figure it out.

You might find out with a little snooping:

Right click an open area on your desktop, select Properties, Settings,
Advanced and see if there is an options tab or something like that
where it might say the Catalyst version.

What kind of monitor are you using?

Do you see this when you boot, shutdown, watch videos, play a game,
just any old time, only once in a while and you don't know why, etc.

Please provide additional information about your system:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select
All, Copy and then paste the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User
Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just
delete it from the pasted information.

This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork.

For video driver information, expand the Components, click Display,
click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste the information.

.
Okay, I believe this is the requested info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Compaq Presario 061
System Model EX304AA-ABA SR1900NX NA630
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~3200 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.03, 5/19/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\windows
System Directory C:\windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume11
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180
(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,536.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 809.20 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.73 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

The monitor is a standard issue 17" CRT, the usual VGA
that comes with desktop HP Presarios.

As for what issue Catalyst. I snooped and all I could identify
is Adapter: ATI Radeon XPress 200 Series. When I went to seek a reload,
some time ago, it referred me to a download of a "Legacy" driver of some
sort.
 
J

John John - MVP

William said:
I wonder if anyone can offer an understandable explanation
for the error shown by the following event:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ati2mtag
Event Category: CRT
Event ID: 45062
Date: 3/11/2010
Time: 6:50:12 AM
User: N/A
Computer: COMPAQ-2006
Description:
CRT invalid display type
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 5a 00 ......Z.
0008: 2c 00 00 00 06 b0 00 c0 ,....°.À
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

No lead that I've followed up to now gives me a clue as
to what is invalid about my CRT display type. Of course,
the system has been running for a couple of years and nothing
has been changed.....but on the other hand, it annoys me to
see those red X's when the system doesn't appear to be broken.

According to ATI the error occurs "When a digital panel connected to the
graphics card..." but you say that you have a CRT, go figure...

This is what I can find:

http://eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=45062&eventno=9333&source=ati2mtag&phase=1
Event ID 45062 Source ati2mtag

http://www.betanews.com/profile/nelsonhf

John
 
J

John John - MVP

William said:
John, both of those links generate Error reporting to Microsoft....
and don't work for me.

I don't know why you are getting these errors, maybe something to do
with your antivirus or other security software not allowing you to click
the links from your newsreader? Copy and paste the links to your
browser navigation bar or copy them to a search engine and see if you
can navigate from the links in the search results.

John
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

Jose

Okay, I believe this is the requested info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer     Compaq Presario 061
System Model    EX304AA-ABA SR1900NX NA630
System Type     X86-based PC
Processor       x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~3200Mhz
BIOS Version/Date       Phoenix Technologies, LTD  3.03, 5/19/2006
SMBIOS Version  2.4
Windows Directory       C:\windows
System Directory        C:\windows\system32
Boot Device     \Device\HarddiskVolume11
Locale  United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer      Version = "5.1.2600.2180
(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
Time Zone       Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory   1,536.00 MB
Available Physical Memory       809.20 MB
Total Virtual Memory    2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory        1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.73 GB
Page File       C:\pagefile.sys

The monitor is a standard issue 17" CRT, the usual VGA
that comes with desktop HP Presarios.

As for what issue Catalyst. I snooped and all I could identify
is Adapter: ATI Radeon XPress 200 Series. When I went to seek a reload,
some time ago, it referred me to a download of a "Legacy" driver of some
sort.

That is part of the information requested.

Since it appears video related, we need to know what video drivers you
have now to do the research necessary to see if there is another
version - earlier or later. You are using the integrated video and
have not added a video card, right?

Did this part not work?

For video driver information, expand the Components, click Display,
click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste the information.

I have know idea what the make and model a standard issue 17" CRT the
usual VGA that comes with desktop HP Presario is. I think it will
depend on what monitor the store thinks is right for most people most
of the time - that is the one you will get.

Has your monitor no markings? Is it the same monitor you have always
had?

I think I would restart, check the log and unplug/replug the monitor
from the VGA port, then check the log again for the error. Try to
recreate the message somehow.

What about the questions regarding when do you think you see this
message - reboot, video, games, etc.

Do you have any kind of Catalyst, CCC or CLI icon in the Notification
Area in the taskbar to the left of the system clock?

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msconfig

Click OK and check the Startup tab for anything to do with Catalyst,
CLI or CCC - the Catalyst Control Center. Disable any of those items
(this does not uninstall anything), reboot. When XP loads again click
the don't bother me again checkbox and test your system and check the
event log again trying to recreate the message.

Sometimes the Catalyst stuff gets installed unnecessarily and people
have trouble with it (or usually performance issues), they have no
idea what it is or how to use it with just one monitor, so it just
needs to be disabled for their environment.

It would be good to get the information so we are not just trying
things.
 
J

Jose

Okay, I believe this is the requested info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer     Compaq Presario 061
System Model    EX304AA-ABA SR1900NX NA630
System Type     X86-based PC
Processor       x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~3200Mhz
BIOS Version/Date       Phoenix Technologies, LTD  3.03, 5/19/2006
SMBIOS Version  2.4
Windows Directory       C:\windows
System Directory        C:\windows\system32
Boot Device     \Device\HarddiskVolume11
Locale  United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer      Version = "5.1.2600.2180
(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
Time Zone       Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory   1,536.00 MB
Available Physical Memory       809.20 MB
Total Virtual Memory    2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory        1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.73 GB
Page File       C:\pagefile.sys

The monitor is a standard issue 17" CRT, the usual VGA
that comes with desktop HP Presarios.

As for what issue Catalyst. I snooped and all I could identify
is Adapter: ATI Radeon XPress 200 Series. When I went to seek a reload,
some time ago, it referred me to a download of a "Legacy" driver of some
sort.

I know a little more now - let's have your video driver info.

You can also get your display adapter information from Device Manager,
Display adapter, Properties, Driver...
 
W

William B. Lurie

John said:
I don't know why you are getting these errors, maybe something to do
with your antivirus or other security software not allowing you to click
the links from your newsreader? Copy and paste the links to your
browser navigation bar or copy them to a search engine and see if you
can navigate from the links in the search results.

John
Got to the betanews link, John, made the changes in Registry.
I'm going to clear all Events, reboot, and will report later
on the CRT error message.
 
W

William B. Lurie

William said:
Got to the betanews link, John, made the changes in Registry.
I'm going to clear all Events, reboot, and will report later
on the CRT error message.
John, it went through a cycle of hibernate, all the way, and
when I just brought it up, and looked at Events, there were *none*
of the old familiar CRT error events. Looks like that was a winner, and
thanks a bundle.

I see that two messages from Jose came in while I was in hibernation.
I'll read them now.
 
W

William B. Lurie

Jose said:
I know a little more now - let's have your video driver info.

You can also get your display adapter information from Device Manager,
Display adapter, Properties, Driver...
Jose, I appreciate the time you put in, trying to help.
Changing those two bits in Registry seems to have made the CRT Error
event go away, but I will try to ferret out the stuff you asked
for. Any additional information might be helpful in understanding
what causes the error.......for me and for other people. You and John
helped me, I'd like to help, too.
 
Ad

Advertisements

W

William B. Lurie

Jose said:
I know a little more now - let's have your video driver info.

You can also get your display adapter information from Device Manager,
Display adapter, Properties, Driver...
Jose, I went there and got the info but I don't think there's
anything you can hang your hat on.

It's again ATI Radeon XPress 200 Series
ATI Technologies 8.493.0.0
 
J

John John - MVP

William said:
John, it went through a cycle of hibernate, all the way, and
when I just brought it up, and looked at Events, there were *none*
of the old familiar CRT error events. Looks like that was a winner, and
thanks a bundle.

You're welcome.

John
 
W

William B. Lurie

John said:
You're welcome.

John
In the past, John, strange things have been known to happen due
to 'updates' that I can't always prevent from being forced on
me overnight. Let's see what I see tomorrow morning.
 
J

Jose

Jose, I went there and got the info but I don't think there's
anything you can hang your hat on.

It's again ATI Radeon XPress 200 Series
ATI Technologies 8.493.0.0

Well, from what I can tell you are 14 versions behind in your video
drivers. Check here and you will find your version in the middle
column and many new ones.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/previous/Pages/radeonaiw_xp.aspx

The idea from John John - I read about that too yesterday and that may
be what you need for what you have. I don't have the inspiration to
read the release notes for each of the newer versions to see if your
particular message is acknowledged and fixed, and it may not be fixed
at all for that legacy video device.

Sometimes I think if you are using an old version but it works okay
for what you do - is it just not worth it to upgrade to a new version
that may fix your benign error message or just because your have an
old version - and then maybe have some new issue. You can ignore the
message and live with it or figure out a way to turn off the message
since you have no other important issues.

Somebody has already chased your Event Log message and figured out how
to keep the message from showing up in the Event Log as you can see -
and I hope that works and you are happy with it. The "problem" was
not really fixed, you just don't see the message any more. There may
not even be a problem that needs to be fixed. Maybe is it just some
silly programming oversight in the driver. Maybe it is supposed to
just be an informational message and not really an error message at
all in spite of its appearance.

I am still of the belief that no message in the Event Log should defy
reasonable explanation and if I saw it and could not explain it, that
would annoy me.

My motherboard is kind of old too and I have no errors or problems
with it that I know of, but I am several versions behind in the BIOS.
Do you think I am going to upgrade my BIOS just to be on the latest
version? Noooooooooooo...
 
Ad

Advertisements

W

William B. Lurie

Jose said:
Well, from what I can tell you are 14 versions behind in your video
drivers. Check here and you will find your version in the middle
column and many new ones.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/previous/Pages/radeonaiw_xp.aspx

The idea from John John - I read about that too yesterday and that may
be what you need for what you have. I don't have the inspiration to
read the release notes for each of the newer versions to see if your
particular message is acknowledged and fixed, and it may not be fixed
at all for that legacy video device.

Sometimes I think if you are using an old version but it works okay
for what you do - is it just not worth it to upgrade to a new version
that may fix your benign error message or just because your have an
old version - and then maybe have some new issue. You can ignore the
message and live with it or figure out a way to turn off the message
since you have no other important issues.

Somebody has already chased your Event Log message and figured out how
to keep the message from showing up in the Event Log as you can see -
and I hope that works and you are happy with it. The "problem" was
not really fixed, you just don't see the message any more. There may
not even be a problem that needs to be fixed. Maybe is it just some
silly programming oversight in the driver. Maybe it is supposed to
just be an informational message and not really an error message at
all in spite of its appearance.

I am still of the belief that no message in the Event Log should defy
reasonable explanation and if I saw it and could not explain it, that
would annoy me.

My motherboard is kind of old too and I have no errors or problems
with it that I know of, but I am several versions behind in the BIOS.
Do you think I am going to upgrade my BIOS just to be on the latest
version? Noooooooooooo...
I'm with you all the way, Jose. I have it almost looking clean and I
am certainly not going to upgrade to one of the newer versions, each
of which will have its own bucket of boo-boos. Some are known to.

I found overnight that if I set hibernate time at 1 hour, it works
smoothly and gives no error message. But if I set hibernate at 2 hours,
it never goes to hibernate, and the reason is in the Event Log:

Every hour two events occur. One is Service Control Manager being
called, and it gives a 7036 code..."Windows Image Acquisition Service",
and the other is TCpip code 4201....Network Control Test.

I'd like to find out first how to set the Network Control Test to some
longer period. On thinking about it, I think it's time to end this
thread, whose problem has effectively been suppressed, and start a new
thread. And so, adios and muchas gracias. On to the new thread.
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top