Scott H

My System:
OS: Win 98 SE
Motherboard : Asus A7V266-C VIA chipset
CPU: AMD Duron 1300 MHz
RAM: 256 DDR
Video Card: Geforce 2 MX 400
Sound Card: On board C-Media

I recently returned an ATI TV Wonder VE because it had some
compatibility issue with the video source I'm trying to take pics from, that
ATI tech support didn't even want to try to troubleshoot, and I wanted
S-video inputs anyway. The VE worked great with everything but that one
input, so I'd suppose that at least ATI's software ought to be compatible
with my system.
My new TV Wonder USB edition has given me nothing but trouble. What
tells me that the card is working is that I can take screenshots, with the
screenshot button in the TV Tuner program, and the screenshots come out
fine, while badly interlaced if there was a lot of motion.
So, what's the problem you might say? Well, the problem is that I set
the input to S-Video or Composite, whichever is appropriate for the device
I've got hooked up, and turn the device on, and the screen turns black and
freezes, while audio plays fine, and I can take still shots of whatever's
coming in. If I swap input types, it'll freeze at whatever was being sent
to the card by my device, rather than a black screen. I've also hooked one
of these devices up with straight Coaxial cable, and it does the same thing.
It sounds like a driver or software problem to me, and good ole' freakin ATI
doesn't have any other drivers or software for me to try.
Dscaler 4.1.7 supports the card, and shows the name of the card as an
input option, but doesn't display any video either, and it won't even take
screenshots. There has GOT to be a way to make this thing work, I
can't just return it and try another because I bought it from a store 2.5
miles away from here, for $20 less than normal retail. If anybody has any
ideas, PLEASE post them, I'll try anything. I've had to reformat so many
times, thanks to ATIs software crashing my system, that another format and
reinstall isn't going to hurt anything, should any troubleshooting steps
screw anything up.

Thanks,
Scott

Chimera

Scott said:
[...]

Sounds bad. Ive alwyas had my doubts about USB for transferring data
streams, like USB TV wonders or USB soundcards. There is a specific issue
with DirectX 9b & some tuners, so if you're using the latest DX9b, downgrade
it to 9a or 8.1

Scott H