ATI Radeon X850XT AGP & Dual-Link?


K

Kyonn Gowans

According to ATI's website the radeon X850XT has a dual-link DVI connecter,
can any one confirm this is true even with the AGP version? Also how noisy
is this card? My current card is passively cooled and I'm not trying to add
a lot of new case noise.
 
Ad

Advertisements

K

kevin weaver

Kyonn Gowans said:
According to ATI's website the radeon X850XT has a dual-link DVI
connecter, can any one confirm this is true even with the AGP version?
Also how noisy is this card? My current card is passively cooled and I'm
not trying to add a lot of new case noise.

I have that very same card. (AGP) And yes it does have two DVI Out's.
It's not that loud. But you will hear some fan noise with any card.
The power supply fan on my system is the noise maker.
 
B

Bob Knowlden

Dual-link is entirely different from having two DVI ports.

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

For example: I have a 7800GTX card, with two DVI connectors. According to
its maker (eVGA), one of them supports dual-link, but the other does not.

I don't know whether anyone makes an X850XT that actually includes a
dual-link port, even though ATI claims that it's possible. Dell only lists
the 7800GT, 7800GTX, and a couple of Quadros (intended for CAD workstations)
as supporting their 30" 2560X1600 LCD display:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/monitor_3007wfp?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd


Address scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
 
K

kevin weaver

First of One said:
To make matters more interesting, the AGP version of the X850XT has only
one DVI port. See:
http://www.ati.com/designpartners/media/images/board_RX850XT_agp_lg.jpg
http://www.powercolor.com/global/images/assets/AGP_X850_R48G-XVD3/PSD/image_b_s.jpg
http://www.visiontek.com/x850xt_pe.html

I think Kevin Weaver may have actually meant dual-link DVI...

Correct, He asked this question.

According to ATI's website the radeon X850XT has a dual-link DVI connecter,
can any one confirm this is true even with the AGP version? Also how noisy
is this card? My current card is passively cooled and I'm not trying to add
a lot of new case noise.
 
K

KCB

Bob Knowlden said:
Dual-link is entirely different from having two DVI ports.

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

For example: I have a 7800GTX card, with two DVI connectors. According to
its maker (eVGA), one of them supports dual-link, but the other does not.

I don't know whether anyone makes an X850XT that actually includes a
dual-link port, even though ATI claims that it's possible. Dell only lists
the 7800GT, 7800GTX, and a couple of Quadros (intended for CAD
workstations) as supporting their 30" 2560X1600 LCD display:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/monitor_3007wfp?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

Here are the Display Features as per:
http://www.ati.com/products/radeonx850/specs.html



a.. Dual integrated display controllers
b.. Dual integrated 10 bit per channel 400 MHz DACs
c.. Integrated 165 MHz TMDS transmitter (DVI 1.0 compliant / HDMI
interoperable and HDCP ready)
d.. Integrated TV Output support up to 1024x768 resolution
e.. YPrPb component output for HDTV display connection*
f.. Single and dual link external TMDS transmitter support for high
resolution and/or multi-monitor DVI configurations
g.. Compatible with ATI's THEATERT video decode and capture devices for
VIVO (Video Input / Video Output) configurations
It appears there is only one TMDS transmitter; didn't the datapro link state
that two are needed for dual-link? Also, the sixth bullet says "external
TMDS transmitter support...". This seems to indicate the need for
additional hardware to achieve dual-link connection. One other thing, if
you check ATI's comparo page here:
http://apps.ati.com/ATIcompare/
, all three of the 850 cards (other than the crossfire) have N/A next to
Dual-Link DVI under the Display Support category. So, in conclusion, my
short answer to the OP's first question is... "no".
As far as the sound from one of these things... I have the X850XT PE and
can assure you that it is (by far) the loudest video card I have ever owned.
I never had a GForce 59XX series card (known as dustbusters, leafblowers,
etc...) so I can't say if this is a universal truth. HTH
 
Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

B

Benjamin Gawert

KCB said:
f.. Single and dual link external TMDS transmitter support for high
resolution and/or multi-monitor DVI configurations

That means if the board maker doesn't solder a second transmitter on the
board the card doesn't have Dual-Link...

Benjamin
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top