Athlox64 componens suggestion


C

chris

Cas & Power Supply

Cooler Master Praetorian SILVER ALUMINUM MID-TOWER CASE, Model "PAC-T01-E1"

Cooler Master Real Power 120mm fan 450W Power Supply With Active PFC,
Model "RS-450-ACLY"

------

Motherboard, CPU and cooler

MSI "K8N Neo4 Platinum" NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra Chipset Motherboard For AMD
Socket 939 CPU

AMD Athlon 64 3500+, Socket 939, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor

ZALMAN CPU Cooler for Socket 478/A/754/939/940 With FAN Speed
Controller, Model "CNPS7700-Cu LED"

------

Memory, Video, HD

Corsair Value Select Memory 184 Pin 1GB DDR PC-3200, Model VS1GB400C3 -
Retail

ASUS ATI RADEON X300 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, PCI
Express, Model "EAX300/TD/128"

Seagate 7200.8 200GB 7200RPM SATA NCQ Hard Drive, Model ST3200826AS, OEM

------

The final cost is a little over US$1000. What other components have I
left out?

I have a few questions:

I have always used ATI video cards. Does Asus make quality video cards?
Analog output quality is my concern and I like that it doesn't have a fan.

Is Corsair Value good when comparing to Cruical?

Does Zalman CNPS7700-Cu fit the motherboard? Do I need to downgrade to
7000 and/or Al-Cu?
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Richard Dower

chris said:
Cas & Power Supply

Cooler Master Praetorian SILVER ALUMINUM MID-TOWER CASE, Model
"PAC-T01-E1"

Cooler Master Real Power 120mm fan 450W Power Supply With Active PFC,
Model "RS-450-ACLY"

------

Motherboard, CPU and cooler

MSI "K8N Neo4 Platinum" NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra Chipset Motherboard For AMD
Socket 939 CPU

AMD Athlon 64 3500+, Socket 939, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor

ZALMAN CPU Cooler for Socket 478/A/754/939/940 With FAN Speed Controller,
Model "CNPS7700-Cu LED"

------

Memory, Video, HD

Corsair Value Select Memory 184 Pin 1GB DDR PC-3200, Model VS1GB400C3 -
Retail

ASUS ATI RADEON X300 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, PCI
Express, Model "EAX300/TD/128"

Seagate 7200.8 200GB 7200RPM SATA NCQ Hard Drive, Model ST3200826AS, OEM

------

The final cost is a little over US$1000. What other components have I left
out?

I have a few questions:

I have always used ATI video cards. Does Asus make quality video cards?
Analog output quality is my concern and I like that it doesn't have a fan.

Asus make excellent graphics cards, but i think the Radeon X300 is very low
spec, you should try get something better such as an X600.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-121-516&depa=0
Is Corsair Value good when comparing to Cruical?

Pretty much the same, shop around for the memory, if budget is a concern you
might go with Crucial or Kingston and maybe get better memory for less cost.

Does Zalman CNPS7700-Cu fit the motherboard? Do I need to downgrade to
7000 and/or Al-Cu?

Personally i'd go with a Thermalright XP-90, it will fit any motherboard and
excellent cooling. You're CPU is also good but do try and get the Winchester
version as it's cooler + overclocks better.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thxpforforin1.html

This one is cheaper then Newegg + is retail with fan.

What about a DVD burner?...NEC 3520 is the way to go.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-040&depa=0

Silver to go with your case :)
 
C

chris

Richard said:
Asus make excellent graphics cards, but i think the Radeon X300 is very low
spec, you should try get something better such as an X600.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-121-516&depa=0




Pretty much the same, shop around for the memory, if budget is a concern you
might go with Crucial or Kingston and maybe get better memory for less cost.





Personally i'd go with a Thermalright XP-90, it will fit any motherboard and
excellent cooling. You're CPU is also good but do try and get the Winchester
version as it's cooler + overclocks better.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thxpforforin1.html

This one is cheaper then Newegg + is retail with fan.

What about a DVD burner?...NEC 3520 is the way to go.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-040&depa=0

Silver to go with your case :)


How about Abit X600?

ABIT ATI RADEON X600 PRO Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-Bit, DVI/HDTV-Out,
PCI Express, Model "RX600PRO-HDTV"

This one is reasonably priced. I don't know about the HDTV output
thinggy. I am scared about having one more fan on the video card though.
I want my computer to be quiet. I don't do games, but lots of Photoshop,
video editing and the current AthlonXP can't run the new Gigastudio,
thus this new athlon64 pc. I might learn some 3D graphics design so I
guess a faster video is not a bad idea. I just worry about the noise level.

BTW, the Corsair VALUE is the cheapest memory choice. This is why I am
questioning about the quality.
 
C

chris

chris said:
How about Abit X600?

ABIT ATI RADEON X600 PRO Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-Bit, DVI/HDTV-Out,
PCI Express, Model "RX600PRO-HDTV"

This one is reasonably priced. I don't know about the HDTV output
thinggy. I am scared about having one more fan on the video card though.
I want my computer to be quiet. I don't do games, but lots of Photoshop,
video editing and the current AthlonXP can't run the new Gigastudio,
thus this new athlon64 pc. I might learn some 3D graphics design so I
guess a faster video is not a bad idea. I just worry about the noise level.

BTW, the Corsair VALUE is the cheapest memory choice. This is why I am
questioning about the quality.



I think I'll instead choose this video card:

MSI nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB DDR3, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out,
PCI-Express, Model "NX6600GT-TD128E"

How does it compare to ATI X600?
 
S

sbb78247

chris said:
I think I'll instead choose this video card:

MSI nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB DDR3, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out,
PCI-Express, Model "NX6600GT-TD128E"

How does it compare to ATI X600?

Check out hardocp.com and they will tell you all about the ATI cards vs
nVidia. If I remember correctly the 6600gt was a better performing card
than either ATI. It was a few beers back, but they have tested all that
you have mentioned.

S
 
Ad

Advertisements

C

chris

jacoby said:
I would consider this memory if it will save you some money
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-299&depa=0

The 7700 heatsink is larger than the 7000, I would definitely confirm that
the 7700 will fit on that board.


Thank you for everyone's comments. I have changed the CPU to Athlon64
Winchester
AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 512KB L2 Cache, Socket 939 64-bit Processor

The Video card is
MSI nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB DDR3, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out,
PCI-Express, Model "NX6600GT-TD128E"

I ended up ordered most of the stuffs from ZipZoomFly. I hope they are
good. I only ordered the case and a LG DVD-Multi drive (special today)
at Newegg.com. They are getting more expensive. I was also shy away from
the shipping charge where it's free in ZipZoomFly.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads


Top