Athlon 64 5200+ Dual Core ... anyone want one?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
AMD's roadmap promises you'll see 65nm processors this year, in limited quantities

AMD just released a few roadmaps to its OEM partners this week. The earliest partner roadmap from May claimed we would see 65nm Brisbane Athlon 64 processors in Q1'07. The most recent update says we will actually see some limited quantity shipments of 65nm Athlon 64 chips in December 2006. This forecast is actually slightly ahead of the announcements made just a few weeks ago in previous roadmaps and press briefings of Fab 36.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2354

AMD's roadmap also announced the 65nm Sparta core which will be used for 65nm DDR2 Sempron processors. The upcoming 90nm AM2 Sempron processors are based on the Manila core, and should be announced on May 23, 2006.

nod.gif

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Gimme Gimme Gimme .....with a motherboard that can use it....

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
On reading the feedback to that article, I noted that AMD, now that they're established, are taking the Mickey with prices in much the same way Intel used to.

Funny how things turn around, AMD used to be the underdog, selling high performance chips at a very reasonable price.

As ever, now they're established their CPU's are no longer the bargain they once were.

Strange to think that an Intel Processor may soon represent better value for money.

My main system is still based around a Socket A XP3200 chip, it's 21 months old now and I'm still happy with it.

I was thinking for next upgrade I'd skip the AMD 64 series and go straight for an AM2 chip. Of course I'd assumed the new AMD family of processors would be affordable.

We shall see.

It looks more likely I'll be hoping with the release of the AM2 chips, the 64 series will come down in price and I'll actually go for one of those.

All in all, a little sad really.

Reaction score
My AMD Athlon 64 3800 Venice CPU does the job, in fact it does everything i need it to do during a day, including cruching. Would i go dual core, yes as my motherboard well let me, not sure when though.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Funny how things turn around, AMD used to be the underdog, selling high performance chips at a very reasonable price

I know what you mean - I'm not looking forward to AMD's eventual price hike :(

We'll all be supporting Intel the underdogs soon ;) Just look at how much of a market share AMD and VIA have now :lol:

Ask a Question