ASCII characters from the numeric keypad

George Singer

I have been able to enter foreign characters from the numeric keypad
(Alt, numbers) for a long time. And then, suddendly It does not work
any longer. Instead, I get question marks no matter what the numeric
combination is.
I installed the correct keyboard driver, but it does not seem to be
the cause.
I am running Windows 2000 with SP4.

Pegasus \(MVP\)

George Singer said:
I have been able to enter foreign characters from the numeric keypad
(Alt, numbers) for a long time. And then, suddendly It does not work
any longer. Instead, I get question marks no matter what the numeric
combination is.
I installed the correct keyboard driver, but it does not seem to be
the cause.
I am running Windows 2000 with SP4.

Please describe exactly how you enter your characters.

George Singer

Gary Smith said:
... and what program you're entering them into. That could make a big
difference.

I press and hold Alt, and then I type 0-2-4-1, or any other sequence.
I used to enter vowels with accents (Spanish) into Eudora, and also
Notepad and Wordpad. The sequence 0-2-4-1 creates the letter n with
the squigly on top.
Now all I get is a question mark, no matter the sequence of numbers.

Pegasus \(MVP\)

George Singer said:
Gary Smith <[email protected]> wrote in message

I press and hold Alt, and then I type 0-2-4-1, or any other sequence.
I used to enter vowels with accents (Spanish) into Eudora, and also
Notepad and Wordpad. The sequence 0-2-4-1 creates the letter n with
the squigly on top.
Now all I get is a question mark, no matter the sequence of numbers.

You must ensure that NumLock is turned on before pressing 0241 (which
should generate ñ).

George Singer

Pegasus \(MVP\) said:
You must ensure that NumLock is turned on before pressing 0241 (which
should generate ñ).

Of course I am making sure the NumLock is ON. Any other ideas?

Pegasus \(MVP\)

George Singer said:
"Pegasus \(MVP\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Of course I am making sure the NumLock is ON. Any other ideas?

You did not say that you turned on NumLock when I asked you
to describe exactly how you were doing it . . .

Run charmap.exe and use it to copy ñ into the clipboard, then
use Ctrl+V to paste it into Wordpad. If it works then you may
have a problem with your keyboard. If it does not work then
you probably have a problem with Windows. Booting with your
Win2000 CD and selecting "Repair" might fix it.

Gary Smith

Of course I am making sure the NumLock is ON. Any other ideas?

The procedure you describe works just fine for me whether NumLock is
turned on or not. I get n-with-tilde either way. What fonts do you have
set to use with the programs that are demonstrating the problem? It
sounds like they're somehow expecting only ASCII characters.

George Singer

Pegasus \(MVP\) said:
You did not say that you turned on NumLock when I asked you
to describe exactly how you were doing it . . .

Run charmap.exe and use it to copy ñ into the clipboard, then
use Ctrl+V to paste it into Wordpad. If it works then you may
have a problem with your keyboard. If it does not work then
you probably have a problem with Windows. Booting with your
Win2000 CD and selecting "Repair" might fix it.

I found that the only application that seems to fail is Eudora.
So I used the keypad and I get question marks.
Using the charmap I can paste the characters into Eudora, but typing
them from the numeric keypad I still get question marks. That points
to the keyboard, right? But I can enter numbers from the keypad into
any text processor.
That would mean the Alt-keypad combination is failing...

Pegasus \(MVP\)

George Singer said:
"Pegasus \(MVP\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message

I found that the only application that seems to fail is Eudora.
So I used the keypad and I get question marks.
Using the charmap I can paste the characters into Eudora, but typing
them from the numeric keypad I still get question marks. That points
to the keyboard, right? But I can enter numbers from the keypad into
any text processor.
That would mean the Alt-keypad combination is failing...

I would uninstall & re-install Eudora. It appears to have
hijacked the Alt-key for its own purposes.