Areo stopped working

Windows are no longer glass. Have Vista home premium.
I went to appearence and selected areo as a color scheme, hit apply and a
dialog box popped up: "the visual styles could not be applied"

Downloaded the divX codec as another thread recommended.
Restarted.
Did a system restore.
Have plenty of memory to run it.
All processes seem legit.
And still no Aero.

Dell XPS M1710 may have gone into a standby or hibernate on low battery.

Open to suggestions.

the windows '95 look bugs me and I'd like to fix this as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Spirit

You probably have a startup program which causes Aero not to
run. Reboot... close as much as you can in Task Manager and
then try to turn Aero on. If this works its definitely a startup
program. You can use MSCONFIG or better Defender to
control startup programs.

John Barnes

Especially the program(s) you installed just before this change happened.

You probably have a startup program which causes Aero not to
run. Reboot... close as much as you can in Task Manager and
then try to turn Aero on. If this works its definitely a startup
program. You can use MSCONFIG or better Defender to
control startup programs.

"JM_jury still out on vista" <JM_jury still out on
news:[email protected]...