Are we the worlds second class citizens?

Reaction score
Perhaps the title is wrong but Il consider that later ;)

For now I ask you to ponder this.

Games,
Movies,
Music

The list is starting to become endless with releases we don't see at the same time as our stateside partners.

Doom III just hit the shelves. While our foreign partners have had it for weeks.

Max Payne II ...

The Matrix Reloaded? Same again.

AVP the movie? Same again...

Shall I carry on?

So are we getting a bum deal in all of this distribution? Or is it logistics (disorganisation?)

I can't see how it's so hard to prepare and mass distribute a media. Infact Matrix Revolutions had a global release. So it's not that hard to get it on time is it now? I can hardly see the logistics being an argument with so much coming out on global release. Including releases from the same companies staggering other releases.

What do you think? Are we getting a bum deal so that "exclusivity" for the US behemoth is achievable?

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
This point always confused me too - I always thought cinema releases were staged so that there were say 3,000 reels of film printed, starting in the USA/Canada, then shipped to Europe, then shipped to Asia/Aus to save on film... Not the case I guess though.

I too wonder what the reasoning behind this is, as it even seems to apply to films mainly filmed in the UK/Europe (but funded by the US).

Reaction score
Just A Wild Stab in The Dark But Here's my Guess....

When The Media Is Released The First Release Is Sort Of Like Testing The Box Office As Advertising, Factory Production, And Distribution Are Expensive...

So If Its A Hit In The US Then I Pressume That it Would Give An Idication That It Would Make Money In The UK Too....

However If its A Flop Then The Launch And Support For That Media Would Be Different....

Maybee This Is Why There Is A Time Lapse In The Release Dates

I Have A Region Free DVD Player Anyway So I Dont Care That Much... lol

Reaction score
That argument could be fair (the test audience).. but..

Take a game that is 99% guaranteed to be successful (Doom III). Im sure activision & ID really don't need to test it out on the US first incase it happens to be hated!

It's a weak argument if that is the best they got. Bahhhhhhhhhhhh!

Reaction score
I thought that the big releases appeared everywhere at the same time, as much as anything to stop people in the first release country getting their hands on it and pirating copies around the world. AVP is in the cinemas now in some countries but we dont get it till the end of October. That sucks- (for me) its the film i`m looking forward to the most this year. The film companies are gonna lose some money for staggering their release dates, but thats their price to pay for being stuipid.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I think console owners get it the worst. They only just get games released here that have been out in Japan for years, out in the USA for months which is incredibly unfair.

Take Final Fantasy XI for instance, its been out in Japan for 2-3 years, out in the USA for around 1-2 years and its only due for release this year in Great Britain!

I'm not fussed about a few weeks, but a few months is abit over the top. Considering most games have the english language in (including japanese games) why is it so hard to release here at the same time as every other country?

Its probably down to them saving money or getting more sales none the less, i dont know how or why though.

Reaction score
I believe there are laws/regulations which mean if something is release in one part of Europe than it has to be released in others, with games this usually means translating the game in some extra languages. For example, Morrowind took many many months to make the non-English versions (due to the huge number of NPCs, quests ect) so we got it a long time after the US. We got a version of Ninja Gaiden without decapitations because of a German law which means that games cant show people having bits chopped off, not totally relevant but i like to complain about it ;) .

Reaction score
Finn .. Yes The Non English Versions.. Like French And So On And So Forth But We Are English So The Only Thing With Morrowind That They Would Have Had To Change Would Be The PAL/NSTC

But Apart From that Finn I Do Agree... The Law May Play A Big Part And Force Adaptions To Games For Blood And Gore.. Ect.. Ect.. Which Would Make A Release Date Later Than The First Original Release

Ask a Question