Are delivery receipts sent automatically or manually?

I can't find in any Outlook Help online or wherever an answer to the question:

"Are delivery receipts sent automatically by the recipient's server or
computer, or manually by the recipient?

I'm referring to Tools=>Options=>Preferences=>Email=>Email Options=>Tracking
Options, or the Options icon on the OUtlook Message Email Toolbar

Issue is:
Requesting read receipts can be an annoyance to the recipient even though
the sender has interest in obtaining some comfort the message has been
received / read. If delivery receipts are sent by the recipient's server or
computer, at least one can have the comfort they "got it"...which means
you've accomplished that which depends on you.

Thanks to all!

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Delivery receipts are handled by the server, however, not all servers are
configured to return them and it only means the server accepted it - it
doesn't mean it ever made it into the recipients inbox. If you need to know
if someone read a message, ask them to simply hit reply and send - most
people will show enough respect to honor your request and the ones that
don't will got to great lengths to avoid giving you that information,
regardless of how you attempt to learn if they read the message.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Lani Ziller

This reply is a couple of years old. I am a newer user of Outlook
(organization converted in April). So far people are finding the read
receipts to be big brotherish and are not respecting my desire to simply know
if they have read / opened what I sent them. Have ther been any changes in
Outlook since 2005 that enable me to track emails?

Thanks,

Kris James Kavelaris said:
I can't find in any Outlook Help online or wherever an answer to the
question:

"Are delivery receipts sent automatically by the recipient's server or
computer, or manually by the recipient?

I'm referring to Tools=>Options=>Preferences=>Email=>Email
Options=>Tracking
Options, or the Options icon on the OUtlook Message Email Toolbar

Issue is:
Requesting read receipts can be an annoyance to the recipient even though
the sender has interest in obtaining some comfort the message has been
received / read. If delivery receipts are sent by the recipient's server
or
computer, at least one can have the comfort they "got it"...which means
you've accomplished that which depends on you.

Thanks to all!

Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote)

Nope. In fact it's worse because now Outlook can be configured to not
respond to them so they're even LESS effective than before.

If you really really need to know if they read your message why not just
ask them?

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP

:

Delivery receipts are handled by the server, however, not all servers are
configured to return them and it only means the server accepted it - it
doesn't mean it ever made it into the recipients inbox. If you need to know
if someone read a message, ask them to simply hit reply and send - most
people will show enough respect to honor your request and the ones that
don't will got to great lengths to avoid giving you that information,
regardless of how you attempt to learn if they read the message.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

"Kris James Kavelaris" <Kris James (e-mail address removed)>
I can't find in any Outlook Help online or wherever an answer to the
question:

"Are delivery receipts sent automatically by the recipient's server or
computer, or manually by the recipient?

I'm referring to Tools=>Options=>Preferences=>Email=>Email
Options=>Tracking
Options, or the Options icon on the OUtlook Message Email Toolbar

Issue is:
Requesting read receipts can be an annoyance to the recipient even though
the sender has interest in obtaining some comfort the message has been
received / read. If delivery receipts are sent by the recipient's server
or
computer, at least one can have the comfort they "got it"...which means
you've accomplished that which depends on you.

Thanks to all!

Steve the disciplinarian

In a large organization, if we need to discipline someone for failure to act
on an e-mail, we need an automatic receipt. Our organization's previous
e-mail server automatically timestamped when it was viewed or forwarded or
deleted (Novell).

Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote) said:
[...]

Not true. In my organization's previous e-mail program (Groupwise), we had
automatic notification when something was read and this has proved
invalulable when people try to use the excuse that they did not see an e-mail.