Apple iphone upgrade for free but have to agree new 18 month Contract

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Very naughty as this phone should have had 3G capability 6 months ago when it was first launched here..:mad:
Not really naughty, those who bought them at the time were aware that it didn't have 3G, in the same way many other phones don't - those that wanted 3G should either have bought something else or waited.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Actually most people were not aware that the iphone wasn't 3G

If I remember rightly even Ian was looking at buying the iphone and when someone informed him on here in a post, he was shocked and went to double check just to make sure what he was reading was true..
When he came back he was stunned that 3G hadn't been included with this phone and it was at that point that he said he would possibly wait for the inevitable upgrade..
Apple knew what they were doing with this one..:nod:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
When you buy a phone you need to check it has the features you want. As I recall at the time it was one of the things that was criticised about it and well publicised. It was the main reason I didn't buy one - I don't there was any deliberate ploy by Apple to hoodwink anyone.

As regards having to take out a new 18 month contract its standard practice with many networks that when you accept an upgrade you have to start your contract again.

Its just one of those things - phones are always being upgraded and improved.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd seriously consider getting one now that it has 3G and GPS - that was one of the reasons I held off in the first place (along with price!). Now that the prices have come down (and will no doubt be negotiable ;)) I'm going to have a look when my phone contract comes up for renewal.

What would swing it for me is if it could connect to PC's using remote desktop like the MS PDA's can do (there is some software that can do this at the moment, but not using the fast RDP/TS protocol). :nod: I'm sure this will come out one the SDK apps filter through :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hmm.. looks like existing o2 users can upgrade early without penalty!

"To thank you for being an iPhone fan, we're offering you an early upgrade to the brand new version when it launches on 11th July 2008. You won't have to wait until the end of your existing contract either, all you'll need to do is agree to a new 18-month minimum term contract. "

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paymonthly

Ask a Question