iPhone v2 (3G + GPS)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Engadget have some more info on the new iPhone (which looks like it's going to be released in the next few months). It looks like it's going to include 3G (i.e. fast browsing) and GPS. :thumb:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/25/the-second-gen-iphone-3g-gps-only-slightly-thicker/

I don't know why they didn't just wait and stick proper 3G on the very first iPhone.

I'm actually very tempted by this now, and as long as the price is reasonable I may make the jump when my contract phone runs out in January 09. At least on the condition that it can use Remote Desktop (which I'm sure someone will code soon).

Hopefully the built-in camera will be a bit better too :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Trouble is, you're tied to 02.

Not that there's anything wrong with 02 I suppose...

Nice piece of kit, the i-Phone, I look forward to seeing the whole extent of improvements to the Mk II.

I'm only on a one month contract with Virgin SIM card only atm so I may be tempted meself :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not too fussed if it's locked to o2, as long as the tariff is reasonable (i.e. unlimited internet ;)) - although unlocking the iPhone seems incredibly common and easy to do :nod:

Have you tried one out in an o2/apple/CPW shop before? The browser is fantastic :D

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I don't know why they didn't just wait and stick proper 3G on the very first iPhone

There would be no need to upgrade if they had done that...Apple money grabbing machine at its best..:mad:

Reaction score
Does the new version of software include picture messaging though

It stupid they pack all that technology in a space like that and dont allow a facility to accept picture messages!!! WTF is that all about

You have to push them through via a online mail server. Divert them if you like!

If they have upgraded that software with the capabilty to allow better megapixel quality pic and not the pathetic 2mp then maybe its worth saving up for. Or maybe I shoudl just have a word and get one for £99 ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Turns out I can upgrade my contract tomorrow, as o2 let you move in the last month of the contract :D :D

I can't resist this any more, as it would save me such a lot of time (plus you can use Remote Desktop, so I can log into the servers on the move). :thumb:

If all goes to plan I'll test out posting on the site from the phone tomorrow ;)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Look forward to seeing how it performs Ian
nod.gif

Just for information, if anyone wants to make the iphone 3G work with any network SIM without messing with the software, flashing etc - then it might be worth giving THIS a go.

edit by Ian :link fixed as it was tied to a cart session :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Ady, I didn't realise it is possible to unlock the iPhone 3g :D Good bit of kit for a tenner! Think I'll be sticking with o2 though as I'm happy with them so far :)

I'll get some photos up once I've had a chance to play with it. It's just a shame that the built in camera isn't up to spec with everything else (only 2MP and no flash).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nice one, just dont do this...

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Look forward to seeing how it performs Ian
nod.gif

Just for information, if anyone wants to make the iphone 3G work with any network SIM without messing with the software, flashing etc - then it might be worth giving THIS a go.

edit by Ian :link fixed as it was tied to a cart session :)

Just to add to this, this dual sim dooda only works with phones that are not network locked..iPhones bought in the U.K on O2 will not work with this dual sim..Trust me on this one..I had the origonal 2G iPhone and now have the 3G one...I have tried every manor of unlocking/debranding etc..Whatever you can throw at the phone...This option doesn't work...I could let you know how to do it, but forum rules prohibit such posts..

Reaction score
Apparently there are laws abroad that make it impossible for phone companies to lock their phones, may be worth looking into this one if you fancy a sim free iPhone

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Just to add to this, this dual sim dooda only works with phones that are not network locked..iPhones bought in the U.K on O2 will not work with this dual sim..Trust me on this one..I had the origonal 2G iPhone and now have the 3G one...I have tried every manor of unlocking/debranding etc..Whatever you can throw at the phone...This option doesn't work...I could let you know how to do it, but forum rules prohibit such posts..
Weird - they are a UK company and when they it say it works with a 3G iPhone you would expect it to be the O2 UK version........they even say in the instructions "100% guaranteed to work on your iPhone 3G".

I will give them a ring this morning and ask them :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Posting this from my iphone, which is just as well because I'm formating my PC. Caught a virus from a PDF file which KIS didn't detect. Will post some pics one my PC is back on it's feet. In the mean time, be sure to update adobe reader to the latest version! ;)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Posting this from my iphone, which is just as well because I'm formating my PC. Caught a virus from a PDF file which KIS didn't detect. Will post some pics one my PC is back on it's feet. In the mean time, be sure to update adobe reader to the latest version! ;)

ahh, this might be why my PC has been odd

how did you notice it ian?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
ahh, this might be why my PC has been odd

how did you notice it ian?

I followed a link when a PDF loaded in the background, it didn't seem quite right and it looked the the site had been hacked. Then downloaded the PDF and submitted to online scanners and some detected a Trojan. As I couldn't see what it had changed, but invalid service entries had been created, I went for a format. Just backing the drive up now and Reading about the PDF vulnerability on the iPhone.

edit from Bex's PC, as it's easier than typing on the iPhone. The site to upload files to scan from multiple AV scanners is : http://www.virustotal.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
ahh ok, my PC keeps losing the icons for word and PDF documents as well as some programs on the desktop. did a virus, spyware etc scan and didnt find anything though

Will have a play at the weekend then, cheers ian

Back to the topic in hand

my friend has one of these, they are awesome. I particularly like the roll dice thing on it
nod.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just got a few pics for now until I've actually got something interesting on the phone ;)

attachment.php

Default screen where you can unlock the phone for use.

attachment.php

Main home screen with lots of icons for launching apps

attachment.php

The PCR main page in landscape mode, when you scroll the menu bar at the top disappears to give you more room - you can also zoom in to read text no problem :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 498
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 539
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 519

Ask a Question