anyone tried a port multiplier sata box (4 drive) before?

markm75

IE: this unit in particular:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-Server+-+RAID+Sub-Systems-_-CFI-_-16855007

Apparently you just connect it to a single Esata port on the back of
the PC (4 drives to 1) and it can be raided somehow.. it comes with a
card, perhaps you must use the card... (not sure if you have to use the
card it comes with or if you can just use one of those esata brackets
and connect to a port on your motherboard if you have one).

This as opposed to say spending $112 on a single card that does raid
1,0, no raid5 and then putting the drives inside the same case.. I'll
probably end up just putting those drives in the case and getting this
separate card (no port multiplier box for me), but it's a thought..

Curious on others thoughts...

Thanks

Folkert Rienstra

markm75 wrote in news:[email protected]
IE: this unit in particular:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-Server+-+RAID+Sub-Systems-_-CFI-_-16855007

Apparently you just connect it to a single Esata port on the back of
the PC (4 drives to 1) and it can be raided somehow..

No, really?
it comes with a card, perhaps you must use the card...

Nah, it's only a RAID card.
(not sure if you have to use the card it comes with

The fact that it is a RAID card obviously doesn't give you any clue.
or if you can just use one of those esata brackets and
connect to a port on your motherboard if you have one).

Yeah, as we all know all port multipliers do RAID.
That's why they call 'm multipliers.