ANyone must know what the problem is with VPN client.

MichaelHLove

Sorry to do this but I have bumped this message by adding it again. I
really need help with the problem!

Cannot VPN from desktop to server on internet. Is NOT router or other
straightforward problem. Is a problem in desktop build as same desktop
- new XP install connects fine. Cannot work with new XP install so
trying to fix old install to work with VPN.

Other on internet had this exact problem but I found no answer for it.

Trying to connect to VPN server either on internet or lan. I can see
pptp port outgoing from system process, nothing is incoming. vpn
connection sits and waits.

This is third time I am asking this and other VPN professionals here or

CS at MS cannot help me.

Someone must know the VPN process in XP back to front. How could I
compare reg entries between the two installs including the HKLM reg
entries?

Thank you.

From: Robert L [MS-MVP] - view profile
Date: Tues, Apr 18 2006 3:41 pm
Email: "Robert L [MS-MVP]" <[email protected]>
Groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely
Not yet ratedRating:
show options

original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

What's error code? also test it without other security program running,

for example IPSec or prosafe.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com

[...]

Reply Rate this post: Text for clearing space

From: (e-mail address removed) - view profile
Date: Tues, Apr 18 2006 4:57 pm
Email: (e-mail address removed)
Groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely
Not yet ratedRating:
show options

original | Remove | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

Bob, you could not help me last week. I think we have investigated all
our options.
Thank you though, for your help.

From: Janani [MSFT] - view profile
Date: Tues, Apr 18 2006 5:48 pm
Email: "Janani [MSFT]" <[email protected]>
Groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely
Not yet ratedRating:
show options

original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

Do you have any other VPN client software on this problematic machine?

Janani [MSFT]
http://blogs.msdn.com/jananiv

RRAS team blog : http://blogs.msdn.com/rrasblog

rights."

From: (e-mail address removed) - view profile
Date: Tues, Apr 18 2006 7:34 pm
Email: (e-mail address removed)
Groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely
Not yet ratedRating:
show options

original | Remove | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

not any more.
I hae hamachi on it and secure tunnel which is ssh and not vpn.

From: (e-mail address removed) - view profile
Date: Thurs, Apr 20 2006 6:53 pm
Email: (e-mail address removed)
Groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely
Not yet ratedRating:
show options

original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

I am seeing the same issue. I suspect it is one of the last set of
patches. We are trying to connect to a Watchguard Firebox

From: Ian - view profile
Date: Thurs, Apr 20 2006 10:28 pm
Email: Ian <[email protected]>
Groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely
Not yet ratedRating:
show options

original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

Might've said this already, but in case not, remeber that VPN require a

portmapping (1723) AND a special protocol (47) to be pointed at the
server,
and allowed past the firewall. Usual thing is that people map the port
but
miss the protocol, in which case you can logon but no data gets
through.

BTW, I also find that SSH or Zebedee are far more reliable. VPN is
cranky at
the best of times.

Reply Rate this post: Text for clearing space

From: Sooner Al [MVP] - view profile
Date: Thurs, Apr 20 2006 10:54 pm
Email: "Sooner Al [MVP]" <[email protected]>
Groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely
Not yet ratedRating:
show options

original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

You can test both TCP Port 1723 and GRE Protocol 47 traffic through a
firewall/router. Look at the "PPTP Ping" and "VPN Traffic" sections on
this
page...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0105.mspx

Personally I currently use OpenVPN (a free open source SSL VPN
solution) to
securely access my home LAN from remote locations. I have a lot of
links on
my small networking page including working examples of server, client
and
PocketPC client configuration files...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/LAN/The_Illustrated_Network.html

I have used Secure Shell (SSH) in the past. In my case I used copSSH as

my
SSH server on an XP Pro box. There are also links to SSH information on

the
above referenced page...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

From: (e-mail address removed) - view profile
Date: Fri, Apr 21 2006 8:22 pm
Email: (e-mail address removed)
Groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely
Not yet ratedRating:
show options

original | Remove | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

I cannot use openvpn. I need a pptp client and it seems the microsoft
one is the only one available for XP.
I have done more investigation.

I loaded XP onto another partition on the same desktop and it connected

to rhe VPN without a problem but I cannot discard my old XP
installation, so to that end, I have still been trying to figure out
what is going on.

I captured some packets and it seems that the desktop never goes beyond

acknowledging the "Start-Control-Connection-Reply", even though the
laptop does not acknowledge at this stage and instead goes to
"Outgoing-Call-Request."

Here is a network capture to show what I mean.

And here's hoping you can help me further.

DESKTOP
No. "Time" "Source" "Destination" "Protocol"
"Info"
3 "0.250914" "192.168.2.4" "vpn2.findnot.com"
"TCP" "1367 > pptp
[SYN] Seq=0 Ack=0 Win=64512 Len=0 MSS=1460"
4 "0.393033" "vpn2.findnot.com" "192.168.2.4"
"TCP" "pptp > 1367
[SYN ACK] Seq=0 Ack=1 Win=5840 Len=0 MSS=1460"
5 "0.393155" "192.168.2.4" "vpn2.findnot.com"
"PPTP"
"Start-Control-Connection-Request"
6 "0.536277" "vpn2.findnot.com"

MichaelHLove

Apologies. Here it the trace from bothe Desktop and Laptop. Notice the
laptop is doing it correctly but the desktop for some reason sends an
ACK instead of an outgoing call request.

DESKTOP
No. "Time" "Source" "Destination" "Protocol"
"Info"
3 "0.250914" "192.168.2.4" "vpn2.findnot.com"
"TCP" "1367 > pptp
[SYN] Seq=0 Ack=0 Win=64512 Len=0 MSS=1460"
4 "0.393033" "vpn2.findnot.com" "192.168.2.4"
"TCP" "pptp > 1367
[SYN ACK] Seq=0 Ack=1 Win=5840 Len=0 MSS=1460"
5 "0.393155" "192.168.2.4" "vpn2.findnot.com"
"PPTP"
"Start-Control-Connection-Request"
6 "0.536277" "vpn2.findnot.com" "192.168.2.4"
"TCP" "pptp > 1367
[ACK] Seq=1 Ack=157 Win=6432 Len=0"
7 "0.537526" "vpn2.findnot.com" "192.168.2.4"
"PPTP"
"Start-Control-Connection-Reply"
8 "0.690255" "192.168.2.4" "vpn2.findnot.com"
"TCP" "1367 > pptp
[ACK] Seq=157 Ack=157 Win=64356 Len=0"

LAPTOP
No. "Time" "Source" "Destination" "Protocol"
"Info"
1 "0.000000" "192.168.2.200" "vpn2.findnot.com"
"TCP" "2810 > pptp
[SYN] Seq=0 Ack=0 Win=64512 Len=0 MSS=536"
2 "0.167624" "vpn2.findnot.com" "192.168.2.200"
"TCP" "pptp > 2810
[SYN ACK] Seq=0 Ack=1 Win=5840 Len=0 MSS=1460"
3 "0.167926" "192.168.2.200" "vpn2.findnot.com"
"PPTP"
"Start-Control-Connection-Request"
4 "0.319507" "vpn2.findnot.com" "192.168.2.200"
"TCP" "pptp > 2810
[ACK] Seq=1 Ack=157 Win=6432 Len=0"
5 "0.323032" "vpn2.findnot.com" "192.168.2.200"
"PPTP"
"Start-Control-Connection-Reply"
6 "0.323361" "192.168.2.200" "vpn2.findnot.com"
"PPTP"
"Outgoing-Call-Request"
7 "0.478946" "vpn2.findnot.com" "192.168.2.200"
"PPTP"
"Outgoing-Call-Reply"
8 "0.496139" "192.168.2.200" "vpn2.findnot.com"
"PPTP"
"Set-Link-Info"