Any Technicians?

Kye

Reaction score
a computer Technician guy is coming too talk too me tomorrow about a course for fixin and maintaining computers on a hardware level. he made it out on the phone that he sees "potentual" students, so...i plan on swamping him with jargon :D

just wondering if anyone here is a techy or is taking a course? if you are or have, please tell me what too expect! the summary the course sounds kinda simple. terminology and learning how too maintain a PC, learn common PC problems and learn terminology, such as RAM, CPU and so on.

i know how and what everything is, but i plan on getting it on paper :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score

Kye

Reaction score
since today, i enrolled on a computer technician course. i am a STUDENT! i got a free anti-static wristband, and a belkin 10 piece tool kit. 7 big books, a CD and a video. a tutor on hand with free phone number too her and e-mail. its distance learning, thus im going at my own pace.
covering hardware components at the moment, socket 340? lol, semi dated but i dont know business-wise if they use old components or not, since cost and practicality are priority.

soo, average it takes somone 160 hours too complete the course, but what ive covered so far are general motherboard layout, AGP, ISA, PCI, sockets. general stuff.

still, im excited about it, and eager ( sp? ) too crack on with it ( after eastenders ) and you will all know about it when im a....qualified techy!

my path too geekism has begun. *meditates on 6800*

Reaction score
Kye: so i see you are an avid eastenders fan and that you put eastenders before your passion, computers?!

just kidding. hope you enjoy your course sounds v interesting, i envy you rite now!

Kye

Reaction score
Eastenders gives me a sense of reality after countless hours of gaming and hardware oogling and thinking what else too spend my money on ( on hardware, of course ).
some people think thats strange. but its eastenders or looking out the window for a hour.

i was wondering how brute can ya be with the guts of your PC.

the s-ata connector thingy in the hard-drive is annoying. its twisted itself around and i want it nice. but, when i tried puttin it out of the hard-drive, it wouldnt come out. i tried doing it semi-forcefully, but i didnt want to break it.

also, the hard-drive is at the bottom bay. am i better off moving it up, so more air can flow freely? the 6800 is ever so hot, and since i love cooling with air and RAM heatspreaders, even if im not overclock, i wondered if it would be worth the hassle.

with my 10-piece toolset thingy, theres this thing for taking chipsets of the motherboard or any other card. why would anyone wanna do that?!

Reaction score
nah woundlt bother messing around with the ALREADY PERFECTLY WORKNG system! I KNOW U REALLY WANT TO THOUGH!!! SO WHAT IF THE SATA cable is twisted around? as long as it works dont mess around with it! ull probably end up damaging something else

and about Eastenders, i think u r rite a night without Eastenders is like tea without sugar or chips without salt, and i'm just infatuated by one character, Zoe! I think shes simply beautiful! ::p definetly my dream gurl!

Kye

Reaction score
Zoe is like the 6800Ultra of hardware?

i was told by uncle a long time ago that thermal paste is iffy, getting it wrong when applying and it can unleash hell. the NV rev.4 cooler thing, i have a phobia when it comes too thermal paste. i dont know how too apply it, what it should look like etc...
and i will have too if im going too ever apply or take off anything from the ref cooler in the graphics card or on the heatsink of the CPU.

im too carful. i need a really, really indepth guide too this! anyone know of a site which can show me how? or maybe somone here can show me?! if i learn how with both CPU and graphics card, ill buy uber thermal paste!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
but its eastenders or looking out the window for a hour.
Looking at it that way, window gazing seems quite appealing :D

with my 10-piece toolset thingy, theres this thing for taking chipsets of the motherboard or any other card. why would anyone wanna do that?!
That's for removing IC's (Integrated Circuits, chips) and is most commonly used for removing the BIOS chip should you be so unlucky as to mess it up and need to replace it.

A powercut in the middle of a BIOS flash will usually mess it up real good :eek:

Reaction score
Kye said:
Zoe is like the 6800Ultra of hardware?

! yes she definetly does it for me for both software and hardware aspects u get me? :)

whether she is windows xp pro
6800Ultra
or the cheery on top of the icing!

shes definetly my dream!

Kye

Reaction score
Sorry for bring the thread back from the dead, but its totally related too what this thread was about.
Uncle mike informed me that the course i am doing is a PC Professional technician course. That being different too basic PC building and maintinence, of which i thought it was too start with.

Regardless if he might be wrong or not, it would explain some of the course, and its motiviating me too do more of it sooner rather then later.

pcreview is a great way too learn as well, since it is first hand somones PC or PC related problem, then the solution. Considering the different problems people have it keeps the diversity of what is needed too know about certain things more interesting.

Currently i am learning how printers work, how too fix'em and maintain them. Its almost like a buzz when somone comes on with a printer problem, and i know the near solution because of what i learnt two days ago.

before this becomes a ramble, just wanted people too know that pcreview is just as much apart of my course then the books themselves :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Pleased to see your perseverance is paying off ... :thumb:

Keep at it. ;)

Ask a Question