Any Readers Smart Enough To Solve This????

Test User

Oops! My bad.. sorry. Error is "Stack overflow at line 0:" <--- that
is the entire context of the error message in Windows Internet
Explorer Dialog Bos. I don't, nor will I, have any other browsers
installed on my machine, so I really can't test that. Thank you in
advance. :)

-pcbrat

If I were you, I wouldn't use IE, that overflow is caused by a
programing error causing allocated memory to overflow, you could visit a
malicious website that would be able to feed code to your buffer.
Whenever you see any type of error that's causing mem/stack overflow.
either you patch it, or you don't use it. There is a reason why memory
overflow is the whipping boy of exploits. If you continue to use IE
than, use it at your own risk, don't start whining if your box gets
turned into a zombie.

* Windows Vista

Overview:

Determina Security Research has discovered a vulnerability in the USER32.DLL code responsible for loading animated cursor (.ANI) files. This vulnerability can be exploited by a malicious web page or HTML email message and results in remote code execution with the privileges of the logged-in user. The vulnerable code is present in all versions of Windows up to and including Windows Vista. All applications that use the standard Windows API for loading cursors and icons are affected. This includes Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Outlook and others.

Microsoft fixed a closely related vulnerability with the MS05-002
security update, but their fix was incomplete. Determina Security
Research was able to bypass the MS05-002 patch and develop a
proof-of-concept exploit that works on fully-patched Windows systems.
http://www.determina.com/security.research/vulnerabilities/ani-header.html

pcbrat

getting this error message on only 1 site. (site is private) have
configured advanced settings to disable script debugging and not notify
me of errors in ie7. also have tried running without addons and exiting
out of av app. i really think that it is on the server of the domain,
but i am just trying to seek out more options to make sure that it is
not my browser or pc. also, memory is fine. have emptied all temp,
history, etc... thanks for your suggestions in advance. grins.

-rh

Mike

pcbrat said:
getting this error message on only 1 site. (site is private) have
configured advanced settings to disable script debugging and not notify
me of errors in ie7. also have tried running without addons and exiting
out of av app. i really think that it is on the server of the domain,
but i am just trying to seek out more options to make sure that it is
not my browser or pc. also, memory is fine. have emptied all temp,
history, etc... thanks for your suggestions in advance. grins.

Maybe if you told us what the actual error message is?

Mike

Adam Albright

getting this error message on only 1 site. (site is private) have
configured advanced settings to disable script debugging and not notify
me of errors in ie7. also have tried running without addons and exiting
out of av app. i really think that it is on the server of the domain,
but i am just trying to seek out more options to make sure that it is
not my browser or pc. also, memory is fine. have emptied all temp,
history, etc... thanks for your suggestions in advance. grins.

-rh

You think insulting people that could help is a smart approach?

KristleBawl

Why do you ASSume the OP is insulting anyone?

On circumstantial evidence, the OP must figure some of us are smarter than
said OP, because we don't need any specific information included.

KB :p

"Adam Albright" wrote in message

Adam Albright

Why do you ASSume the OP is insulting anyone?

Because anybody that starts off a post saying something dumb like is
there anybody here smart enough to answer or dopes that say MVPs only
and assorted other dumb comments IS insulting the majority of people
here.
On circumstantial evidence, the OP must figure some of us are smarter than
said OP, because we don't need any specific information included.

Ok fine, so you help him, we'll watch.

The poster formerly known as Nina Di Boy

pcbrat said:
getting this error message on only 1 site. (site is private) have
configured advanced settings to disable script debugging and not notify
me of errors in ie7. also have tried running without addons and exiting
out of av app. i really think that it is on the server of the domain,
but i am just trying to seek out more options to make sure that it is
not my browser or pc. also, memory is fine. have emptied all temp,
history, etc... thanks for your suggestions in advance. grins.

-rh

Yes, share the error message, and try another browser and see if it has
the same problem and report back.

--
Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html

Most recent idiotic quote added to KICK (Klassic Idiotic Caption Kooks):
"They hacked the Microsoft website to make it think a linux box was a
windows box. Thats called hacking. People who do hacking are called
hackers."

"Only religious fanatics and totalitarian states equate morality with
legality."
- Linus Torvalds

pcbrat

pcbrat said:
Oops! My bad.. sorry. Error is "Stack overflow at line 0:" <--- that is
the entire context of the error message in Windows Internet Explorer
Dialog Bos. I don't, nor will I, have any other browsers installed on my
machine, so I really can't test that. Thank you in advance. :)

-pcbrat

Well can you go to another machine with another browser on it there and
test? It's a good troubleshooting step. Also you should google your
error and see what comes up. Looks like a common problem with IE in
general.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=IE7+"Stack+overflow+at+line+0:"&btnG=Google+Search

--
Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html

Most recent idiotic quote added to KICK (Klassic Idiotic Caption Kooks):
"They hacked the Microsoft website to make it think a linux box was a
windows box. Thats called hacking. People who do hacking are called
hackers."

"Only religious fanatics and totalitarian states equate morality with
legality."
- Linus Torvalds

pcbrat

Thanks, I did google it, and posted here as a last resort, (my original
post says that I am basically just trying to verify that it is not my
pc) and that is why I described all the things I have already tried. As
far as another machine, I don't have access to one. Thanks anyway.

-pcbrat

Andrew McLaren

pcbrat said:
Oops! My bad.. sorry. Error is "Stack overflow at line 0:" <--- that is
the entire context of the error message in Windows Internet Explorer

A stack overflow is a runtime error generated by an executable component
(EXE, DLL, OCX, etc). Any process has a finite stack space, if the program
goes into infinite recursion, for example, it will throw this error as soon
as the available stack space is exhausted.

Although you see the error in Internet Explorer, it probably isn't coming
from Internet Explorer as such (ie, not from IEXPLORE.EXE or its usual
DLLs). Internet Explorer is more like a container process for a multitude of
plug-ins, add-ons, ActiveX controls, JScript, Java, not to mention plain ol'
HTML.

The way to troubleshoot the problem would be to, first, as The Poster
Formerly Known etc suggested, see if you can reproduce the problem from
other machines. This will help to isolate whether it is specific to that
machine you are using; or whether it affects all machines which hit that
webpage (ie, is it something which the webpage is downloading to your
machine).

Also, report the problem to the webmaster of the site. It will help them to
know users may hit the problem; and if other users have reported it they
might already know the answer.

You could also try to capture the source of the page which is causing the
error. Look for indications what controls it is exercising.

There doesn't appear to be any "well-known" fixes for the problem, so apart
from changing things at random, you'll just need to discover what causes the
error. If the above haven't helped, you are probably looking at doing some
debugging. You could start by uisng Microsoft's Script Debugger for IE:
or you could use a more full-featured 3rd party debugger, such as IE Web
Developer:
http://www.ieinspector.com/dominspector/index.html
or IEWatch:
http://www.iewatch.com/default.aspx
You can get 30 da free evals of these 2 products.

Even if you don't fix the problem, you'll learn a lot about Internet
browsers during the process :) Very useful, for anyone who presumes to call
themselves a PC brat :))
I don't, nor will I, have any other browsers installed on my machine, so I
really can't test that. Thank you in advance. :)

That sounds silly. If you artificially limit your diagnostic strategies, you
just increase the time to problem resolution (possibly to infinity). Real IT
pros don't work that way.

pcbrat

Steve, I so appreciate your response, you actually read the original
content and responded accordingly without bias. :)

-pcbrat

pcbrat

Mr. Andrew McLaren: Please refrain from responding to my posts in the
future. Whatever may seem silly to you comes from tried and true trial
and error and I have my preferences just as you do. And you, in NO WAY,
are in a position to judge my knowledge or level of experience.

and what the heck care do you call myself? pcbrat is a nick not a
profession!! get a life, answer questions and keep personal judgement
out of this arena. seems that you are just a more "polite" flamer.

- PCBRAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrew McLaren

pcbrat said:
Mr. Andrew McLaren: Please refrain from responding to my posts in the

I apologise if I caused offense. I only intended some good-natured teasing
(hence the ":)" smiley :).

If you're going to present yourself in public with a nickname like "pc
brat", you've got to expect to get ribbed, a bit!! So don't be too
thin-skinned. But hey, I did not mean to seriously offend you.

Anyway, good luck, I hope you get the error resolved.

pcbrat

in turn, i apologize for my reaction. i have just ran in to sooo many
"know it all's" who only know what a book has taught them and have no
"real world experience" and who "can't think outside the box". usually
those type of people do not work well will people... and tend to say you
"cannot" do that, and that my friend is very limiting. ;-) so, i am
sorry if i mistook your comments. hanve a great night.

sincerly,
pcbrat