Excel Any help on Excel 2007 on XP Platform please?

Reaction score
Hi there

Can anyone please advise, or let me know if you have experienced similar problems?

We've recently upgraded from Excel 2003 to 2007 on an XP platform. We can't change to Windows 7 currently as some of our in-house applications are not supported by this system, so will be sticking to XP for a while.

The problems I currently have are:

1) The Excel spreadsheet sometimes says it's saved and then has only saved part way through.... I'm a regular saver, so it's taken part of my saves and then not the final save or the few saves before, for example.

2) Dates and Percentages suddenly reformat themselves to General format for no known reason.

3) PivotTables disappear for no known reason.

Background:
  • I had to upgrade due to the limited amount of data capacity Excel 2003 had.
  • Shortly after upgrading, I experienced all the usual problems people post re Compatibility Mode so am now working in a full 2007 data universe on Excel.
  • I copied the raw data from the Excel 2003 spreadsheet as 'Paste, Special, Paste, Value' to stop any 'minor loss of fidelity' issues, as when I originally pasted using a standard paste option it caused quite a headache with numerous other issues, which I won't go into here [sigh!].
I would be really grateful if someone could let me know what they've experienced with the 2003 to 2007 migration.

Reaction score
We recently migrated from Office 2003 to 2007, however I have yet to come across any of those kind of issues. I'll check with our finance department and sister sites to see if any of them had noticed quirks like that.

I'm also curious if this is a common issue or somehow unique to your situation.
Hope someone on here may be able to help you.

Cheers!
-KH

Reaction score
Hello KH,

Thanks for your comment and I hope you don't experience anything similar!!

I've seen posts where people have had "general numbers" convert to "date format" but not the other way round.

Also it's recognised that macros, etc., built in Excel 2003 will often need to be rebuilt for 2007.

Reaction score
Have you looked at any of the following:

Migration considerations for Excel 2007:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179188.aspx
- Does seem to mention some of the items you listed

What's new in Excel 2007
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179167.aspx
- Offers some migration path suggestions

Also, have you tried turning error checking rules on or off?
Microsoft Office Button / Excel Options / Formulas / Error Checking

If you haven't already, you may want to check other settings under excel options as well (Proofing, Saved, Advanced).

Also, have you tried using the Data Anaylsis command under the Data tab (available after you select the Analysis Toolpak add-in) Perhaps it may help identify concerns.

-KH

Reaction score
Hi hulettk

Just had a quick read through, very useful. Thank you very much.

SooziP

Ask a Question