Antivirus problems

Jeffrey Kaplan

I have a Compact F730us laptop. It came with Vista Home Premium on it.
For work purposes, a few weeks ago I upgraded it to Ultimate via
Windows Anytime Upgrade in order to get the disk encryption features,
which are in use on selected directory trees. Last week I updated to
SP1. I was using Avast! Home Edition v4.7 as my antivirus with no
problems.

Due to some unrelated issues with the firewall I was using on my XP
system, I installed a new security suite on my XP system and a
different suite on the Vista system, in order to do a side-by-side
comparison, with the intent of buying the one I like best and
installing it on both.

I installed ESET's Smart Security suite (NOD32 AV +firewall) onto my
Vista machine. It demanded that I uninstall my current security
(av/firewall) first, so I uninstalled Avast and it disabled the Windows
Firewall for me. And now I have no AV at all.

The antivirus component of Smart Security failed to start. Figuring
the program was crap, I removed it and reinstalled Avast. Avast fails
to start, claiming an RCP (or was it RPC?) error. Its help suggested I
do WindowsUpdate to make sure I'm up-to-date, I did and I am. It
suggested that I check the Services to make sure that Avast's services
are started and if not, to start them. One wasn't, and trying to start
it generated the same error.

So I uninstalled Avast and installed Kaspersky Internet Security (which
I had already installed on my XP system and its running fine there) and
that's also failing on the AV side, but in such a way that I'm not sure
that the firewall is properly active, either.

I rebooted the machine after each uninstall and after each install.

From an unrelated question, Kaspersky said that SuperAdBlocker is
incompatible with their software, and it is installed. I disabled it
from running with Windows and rebooted, and the problem persists.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #107.
Even though I don't really care because I plan on living forever, I
will hire engineers who are able to build me a fortress sturdy enough
that, if I am slain, it won't tumble to the ground for no good
structural reason.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

The best Windows Vista protection suite I have
used is Windows OneCare. Though not free, it
is very comprehensive in preventing malware from
entering into your system. You can try it free
for 90 days: http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/default.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

[...]

From an unrelated question, Kaspersky said that SuperAdBlocker is
incompatible with their software, and it is installed. I disabled it
from running with Windows and rebooted, and the problem persists.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #107.
Even though I don't really care because I plan on living forever, I
will hire engineers who are able to build me a fortress sturdy enough
that, if I am slain, it won't tumble to the ground for no good
structural reason.

David H. Lipman

From: "Jeffrey Kaplan" <[email protected]>

| I have a Compact F730us laptop. It came with Vista Home Premium on it.
| For work purposes, a few weeks ago I upgraded it to Ultimate via
| Windows Anytime Upgrade in order to get the disk encryption features,
| which are in use on selected directory trees. Last week I updated to
| SP1. I was using Avast! Home Edition v4.7 as my antivirus with no
| problems.
|
| Due to some unrelated issues with the firewall I was using on my XP
| system, I installed a new security suite on my XP system and a
| different suite on the Vista system, in order to do a side-by-side
| comparison, with the intent of buying the one I like best and
| installing it on both.
|
| I installed ESET's Smart Security suite (NOD32 AV +firewall) onto my
| Vista machine. It demanded that I uninstall my current security
| (av/firewall) first, so I uninstalled Avast and it disabled the Windows
| Firewall for me. And now I have no AV at all.
|
| The antivirus component of Smart Security failed to start. Figuring
| the program was crap, I removed it and reinstalled Avast. Avast fails
| to start, claiming an RCP (or was it RPC?) error. Its help suggested I
| do WindowsUpdate to make sure I'm up-to-date, I did and I am. It
| suggested that I check the Services to make sure that Avast's services
| are started and if not, to start them. One wasn't, and trying to start
| it generated the same error.
|
| So I uninstalled Avast and installed Kaspersky Internet Security (which
| I had already installed on my XP system and its running fine there) and
| that's also failing on the AV side, but in such a way that I'm not sure
| that the firewall is properly active, either.
|
| I rebooted the machine after each uninstall and after each install.
|
| From an unrelated question, Kaspersky said that SuperAdBlocker is
| incompatible with their software, and it is installed. I disabled it
| from running with Windows and rebooted, and the problem persists.

You were replied about Microsoft OneCare. It is NOT the best, in fact it is at the bottom
of the list amongst anti virus vendors.

Jeffrey Kaplan

Previously on microsoft.public.windows.vista.general, John A said:
Did you reboot after installing/uninstalling these various AVs?

Copied from my OP:

Ah, that might be useful. I'll try it tonight.
Reboot

Remove Kaspersky - see http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279463

Reboot

Reinstall ESET

Reboot

Uninstall ESET

Reboot

Remove ESET folder in c:\program files

Erm, why reinstall ESET only to intentionally remove it again 2 minutes
later?

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #107.
Even though I don't really care because I plan on living forever, I
will hire engineers who are able to build me a fortress sturdy enough
that, if I am slain, it won't tumble to the ground for no good
structural reason.

Jeffrey Kaplan

Previously on microsoft.public.windows.vista.general, Carey Frisch
[MVP] said:
The best Windows Vista protection suite I have
used is Windows OneCare. Though not free, it
is very comprehensive in preventing malware from
entering into your system. You can try it free
for 90 days: http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/default.htm

I actually just paid $80 for Kaspersky, which specifically allows a
multi-system install on the one license.

From: "Jeffrey Kaplan" <[email protected]>

| I actually just paid $80 for Kaspersky, which specifically allows a
| multi-system install on the one license.

Kaspersky is on the top of the anti virus industry.
Good choice !

Jeffrey Kaplan

Previously on microsoft.public.windows.vista.general, David H. Lipman
From: "Jeffrey Kaplan" <[email protected]>

| I actually just paid $80 for Kaspersky, which specifically allows a
| multi-system install on the one license.

Kaspersky is on the top of the anti virus industry.
Good choice !

If I can get it to work on my laptop... good thing I know the problem
is not with Kaspersky itself.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #144.
I will order my guards to stand in a line when they shoot at the hero
so he cannot duck and have them accidentally shoot each other. Also, I
will order some to aim above, below, and to the sides so he cannot jump
out of the way.

Jeffrey Kaplan

Previously on microsoft.public.windows.vista.general, John A said:
Did you reboot after installing/uninstalling these various AVs?
Yes.

You could try the following

Remove Avast remnants - see
http://avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html
Reboot
Done.

Remove Kaspersky - see http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279463
Reboot
Done.

Reinstall ESET
Reboot
Done.

Uninstall ESET
Reboot
Done.

Remove ESET folder in c:\program files
Reboot
Done.

Install Kaspersky

Done. Same problem.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #144.
I will order my guards to stand in a line when they shoot at the hero
so he cannot duck and have them accidentally shoot each other. Also, I
will order some to aim above, below, and to the sides so he cannot jump
out of the way.

Jeffrey Kaplan

Previously on microsoft.public.windows.vista.general, Bob said:
What problem?

See the first message in the thread:

From: Jeffrey Kaplan <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Subject: Antivirus problems
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:21:03 -0400

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #107.
Even though I don't really care because I plan on living forever, I
will hire engineers who are able to build me a fortress sturdy enough
that, if I am slain, it won't tumble to the ground for no good
structural reason.

fleur4

I got Kaspersky since January 2008 and I'm very,very satisfied and it's not
FREE. It won an award for 2008....
Unfortunately after downloading Microsoft Vista Update Package SP1, it comes
up with a dialog box, something about ".winmail.exe and explorer". More
likely it's the Update and I'm wondering with all the problems we have with
this update, if it's really necessary to download it.
I get frustrated..........especially after downloading for hours the SP1!