Antivir finds malware - in SuperAntiSpyware

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Starting today, each time I boot a Windows OS Antivir detects a nasty in, of all things, SuperAntiSpyware.

It gives me the usual options to Deny Access; Quarantine etc and when I choose an option (twice) the machine boots normally.

From memory I think the alert is something like FR/FakeAlert.

Anybody else getting this?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
can't help much, don't use either ... but it looks like a fools positive ... :)

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I use SuperAntiSpyware, but with KIS, so probably not helping either... other than to say that KIS hasn't flagged anything. :)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Starting today, each time I boot a Windows OS Antivir detects a nasty in, of all things, SuperAntiSpyware.

It gives me the usual options to Deny Access; Quarantine etc and when I choose an option (twice) the machine boots normally.

From memory I think the alert is something like FR/FakeAlert.

Anybody else getting this?

Yea happened to me a while back so I now use Avast.+windows defender

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well this one was easily solved. I temporarily disabled Antivir and updated Superantispyware.

Re-enabled Antivir, rebooted, no problems.

Had the problem persisted I had made the decision to uninstall Superantispyware and just use Antvir and Windows' own stuff.

The reason being is that in the several years I've used Superantispyware and run regular scans with it, it hasn't detected a single solitary thing, whereas Antivir has nobbled numerous nasties.

And from extensive reading and research on all the free AV software, Antivir puts the others to shame and general consensus has it that the main two rivals aren't really up to much.

But for now I'll keep the Superantispyware as it's doing no harm and may very well, one day, do some good.

APK

Reaction score
I'd wager it's a false positive, and here is why

On a guess here, as to WHY "superantispyware" is being flagged as a virus?

Well, I know they tend to use the WINLOGON section of the registry, to load various things (probably so they can do whatever it is they do, prior to the user instancing Explorer.exe shell/desktop)... &, I'd wager THAT is the only reason this is occurring for them.

APK

Ask a Question