Anti virus

Paul

AVG free isn't compatible with Vista Beta 2

Does anyone know of an AV program, preferably frree, which will work!

Thanks

Bernie

That was true until a few days ago but if you are getting the Vista
updates you will find this has been fixed. I installed the update and
then installed AVG free without a problem. It is running now and is
quite happy.

John Jay Smith

I confrim that this is true

Bernie said:
That was true until a few days ago but if you are getting the Vista
updates you will find this has been fixed. I installed the update and then
installed AVG free without a problem. It is running now and is quite
happy.

Michael Cecil

AVG free isn't compatible with Vista Beta 2

Does anyone know of an AV program, preferably frree, which will work!

Thanks

I was just reading that AVG did come out with a Beta 2 compatible version
yesterday. Go check the website again.

Bones

Etrust was also removed from the list of a/v programs that MS recommends
because it has issues.

Indeed, Avast 4.7 is a Great Product to Use not only on Windows Vista Beta
2, but also on Windows XP Professional X64 Edition Service Pack 1 (64-Bit
Windows XP RTM).

Bill

I installed the free AVG version - installed fine - when I re-booted it said
it could not initialize (sp) the program. If I go the the AVG Control Center
the tray icon appears and all seems OK. I have used AVG for years with XP,
never had this problem. Avast works with Beta 2 without any problems.

Jim Clements

EZ Antivirus is free for a year to all Vista beta testers, Vista directed
you to their site. It's working great for me. Why didn't you use it?

Bernie

Yes I found the same thing on one machine but not on another. I think it
might have something to do with the order in which services and user
controlled startup programs load. Maybe there is something that needs to
load first for it to work. If you load it yourself a couple of minutes
after system startup I don't think you will have this problem.

My solution was to setup a scheduled task to start AVG. And in doing
that I discovered some neat enhancements to the task scheduler. AVG is
set to start 15 minutes after system startup.

Colin Barnhorst

A neat workaround, Bernie.

Bernie said:
Yes I found the same thing on one machine but not on another. I think it
might have something to do with the order in which services and user
controlled startup programs load. Maybe there is something that needs to
load first for it to work. If you load it yourself a couple of minutes
after system startup I don't think you will have this problem.

My solution was to setup a scheduled task to start AVG. And in doing that
I discovered some neat enhancements to the task scheduler. AVG is set to
start 15 minutes after system startup.

Jim Clements

Vista pointed me to a web site where EZ Antivirus is provided free for a
year to all Vista testers...

Zapper

As long as you are using the x86 build....

Jim Clements said:
Vista pointed me to a web site where EZ Antivirus is provided free for a
year to all Vista testers...

Raven Mill

I'm not sure if the fix actually worked or not, because I've never really
been an AVG fan, but MS recently released an update for Beta2 that allowed
using AVG. Anyone try to see if it worked yet?

| "Paul" <paul> wrote in message
| | > AVG free isn't compatible with Vista Beta 2
| >
| > Does anyone know of an AV program, preferably frree, which will work!
| >
| > Thanks

Graham

Installed AVG Free today and it is working fine. Also the anti virus page
at the MS site now has quite a few other a/v programs compatible with Vista

Raven Mill

Thanks Graham. I'll have to take a look. I've been on ESET's case about a
Vista capable version for a bit now. I sure hope they get one together, as
it's the only av I actually like. (Believe it or not, there's an AV out
there that DOESN'T try to take over your system. Only time you even know
it's there is when there's a problem, AND it actually is in the top 3 "ITW"
AV systems.)

--
Takali S. Omega Sr
Host of TechTAK on KFAR 660am

| Installed AVG Free today and it is working fine. Also the anti virus page
| at the MS site now has quite a few other a/v programs compatible with
Vista

| "Raven Mill @techtak.com>" <ravenmill<nospam> wrote in message
| | > I'm not sure if the fix actually worked or not, because I've never
really
| > been an AVG fan, but MS recently released an update for Beta2 that
allowed
| > using AVG. Anyone try to see if it worked yet?

| > |

I downloaded the MS update so I could use AVG Free, and Vista reported that
it (the update!) was not compatible with my O/S!!! Blimey, what's going on!
I'm using RC1 build 5728. Maybe it's OK with 5600?

Rick

AVG Free will work with 5728 or 5600

First, I turned off UAC and rebooted. Then I ran the AVG Free install
program in
Compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2. It was also set to run as
Administrator. When the AVG Free installation was complete I then rebooted.
With
the AVG virus program updated and running properly I enabled UAC again and
rebooted again. Now AVG is working and I have no compatibility warnings
from
Vista.

UAC is turned on and off under the Use Accounts in Control Panel.

I saw the same problem you had when I tried to install AVG the normal way in
Vista.