Answers Forum Categories

G

Greg Maxey

Does anyone know where or how to suggest changes to the Answers Forum categories? Take this one for example "Office Programming." Sure it sounds right for people who may be looking for answers, but I believe it is wrong for the people who are willing to spend their time providing the answers.

Under the old and far better method of public newsgroups, there was one or more "programming" group for each Office application. From their popularity it appears these groups and categories where not hard to find by people seeking answers and the answerers could go to one specialized location to review and answer questions within their particular expertise. Now answers are required to wade through questions scattered across the realm of Office applications to find questions they may be able to answer.

System is broke out of the gate IMHO.

--
Greg Maxey

Please visit my web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org

Arrogance is a weed that grows mostly on a dunghill (Arabic proverb)

G

Greg Maxey

My post using the "Take this one for example" is probably misleading. I posted it initially in the Answers Office Programming forum. I then thought it might get wider exposure here but neglected to update the text.

The ideal IMHO would be to have an Answers forum corresponding to each of the public groups. Or at least each of the more popular groups.
Does anyone know where or how to suggest changes to the Answers Forum categories? Take this one for example "Office Programming." Sure it sounds right for people who may be looking for answers, but I believe it is wrong for the people who are willing to spend their time providing the answers.

Under the old and far better method of public newsgroups, there was one or more "programming" group for each Office application. From their popularity it appears these groups and categories where not hard to find by people seeking answers and the answerers could go to one specialized location to review and answer questions within their particular expertise. Now answers are required to wade through questions scattered across the realm of Office applications to find questions they may be able to answer.

--
Greg Maxey

S

Suzanne S. Barnhill

There is a Word-specific group at msdn.en-US.worddev, accessed by the
original bridge. Or you can join the crowd asking for individual Answers
forums at answers.en-US.answersfeedback.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

Does anyone know where or how to suggest changes to the Answers Forum
categories? Take this one for example "Office Programming." Sure it sounds
right for people who may be looking for answers, but I believe it is wrong
for the people who are willing to spend their time providing the answers.

Under the old and far better method of public newsgroups, there was one or
more "programming" group for each Office application. From their popularity
it appears these groups and categories where not hard to find by people
seeking answers and the answerers could go to one specialized location to
review and answer questions within their particular expertise. Now answers
are required to wade through questions scattered across the realm of Office
applications to find questions they may be able to answer.

--
Greg Maxey

G

Greg Maxey

It appears that I have both bridges installed, however both are providing only a listing of "Answers" forums. All the other forums that were available in the original bridge are now gone :-(

Both accounts are using the same IP 127.0.0.1 and Port 120. That is likely the cause, but I can't find any guidance on what IP address and port should be used with the original bridge.

S

Stefan Blom

I believe the original Bridge (the Forums Bridge) should use port 119.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP
(Message posted via NNTP)

It appears that I have both bridges installed, however both are providing only a
listing of "Answers" forums. All the other forums that were available in the
original bridge are now gone :-(

Both accounts are using the same IP 127.0.0.1 and Port 120. That is likely the
cause, but I can't find any guidance on what IP address and port should be used
with the original bridge.

G

Greg Maxey

Stefan,

You are correct. Both use 127.0.0.1 as the IP but different ports. Both up and running now.
Thanks.

Ask a Question