ANNOUNCE: Ice 3.0 released

Marc Laukien

ZeroC, Inc. is pleased to announce the availability of the Internet
Communications Engine (Ice), version 3.0.0. For a detailed description
of Ice, please have a look at http://www.zeroc.com/ice.html.

The most significant change since version 2.1.2 is the addition of
IceGrid, a replacement for the IcePack activation service that
revolutionizes the way you build and deploy your Ice applications. With
support for replication, load balancing, and application distribution,
IceGrid provides the tools you need to create scalable grid applications
and manage them remotely. For more information on IceGrid, please see
http://www.zeroc.com/icegrid/index.html.

As you have come to expect, this release also includes a great deal of
smaller enhancements and fixes that improve the reliability of your
programs and help you get them to market faster.

In addition to traditional proprietary licensing models for commercial
customers, Ice is also freely available as Open Source under the terms
of the GNU General Public License (GPL). You can download the complete
Ice source and documentation from http://www.zeroc.com/download.html.

Scott M.

Microsoft Newsgroups is pleased to announce that we don't care about your
new product and we hope you will act professionally in the future and keep
your solicitations to appropriate forums.

Marc Laukien

Scott said:
Microsoft Newsgroups is pleased to announce that we don't care about your
new product and we hope you will act professionally in the future and keep
your solicitations to appropriate forums.

I believe this is an appropriate forum for an announcement of a
middleware product that supports grid computing for Visual Basic .NET.

Are you some kind of moderator here, so that you can speak for
"Microsoft Newsgroups" in general?

clintonG

Ooo that was ice cold ;-)

<%= Clinton Gallagher

Scott M. said:
Microsoft Newsgroups is pleased to announce that we don't care about your
new product and we hope you will act professionally in the future and keep
your solicitations to appropriate forums.

Cor Ligthert [MVP]

Scott,
Microsoft Newsgroups is pleased to announce that we don't care about your
new product and we hope you will act professionally in the future and keep
your solicitations to appropriate forums.

I don't know who are the Microsoft Newsgroups, if that are the regular
visitors than you are not speaking in my name.

This messages started nicely with Ann, why do you think that this convention
is in usenet.

Cor

Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

Marc Laukien said:
I believe this is an appropriate forum for an announcement of a middleware
product that supports grid computing for Visual Basic .NET.

Are you some kind of moderator here, so that you can speak for "Microsoft
Newsgroups" in general?

Rules of Conduct
<URL:http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx>

| *Advertising/Solicitation:* These communities were created
| as a forum for providing peer-to-peer assistance related to using
| Microsoft products and services. We ask that you refrain from
| posting unsolicited advertisements that do not pertain directly to
| the intended use and purpose of the newsgroup or chat.

Cor Ligthert [MVP]

Herfried,

--
What do you want to say with this?

The announcement is related to the use of the Microsoft product Visual Basic
(it is not a kind of Sex announcement), at least in my opinion completely
valid accoording to the context of the rules of conduct above and nicely
done with the text announce. If its meant with that text something else,
than is it at least for the poster valid to take the meaning of the text
that fits him the most.

Because I have the idea that I am a regular visitor to this newsgroup and in
that way participating in that, can there not be written "The Microsoft
Newgroups" etc.

However you can disgree of course with all what I wrote.

:)

Cor

Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

Cor Ligthert said:
What do you want to say with this?

The announcement is related to the use of the Microsoft product Visual
Basic (it is not a kind of Sex announcement), at least in my opinion
completely valid accoording to the context of the rules of conduct above
and nicely done with the text announce.

| These communities were created as a forum for providing
| peer-to-peer assistance related to using Microsoft products
| and services.

.... could be interpreted that ads should not be posted to the groups at all.
I do not care much about the OP's post because AFAIS the offer is available
for free.

Cor Ligthert [MVP]

Herfried,
I do not care much about the OP's post because AFAIS the offer is
available for free.
It is the same for me, however that does not mean that the OP is not allowed
to give information in this newsgroup if it is related to the Microsoft
Visual Basic Product
| These communities were created as a forum for providing
| peer-to-peer assistance related to using Microsoft products
| and services.
As you read the words "peer-to-peer assistent" only as from asker to
replier, than you see this in my opinion very limited. It would be probably
conducting the more general usenet rules. I have not the idea that it is
Microsoft intention to do that.

Giving peer-to-peer assistent can as well be from an MVP or MSFT (which I
have often seen and mostly am very glad with) or everyone else who means
that he has an announcement to make accoording to the Microsoft products and
services.

Just my idea

Cor

Jerry Stuckle

Cor said:
Scott,

I don't know who are the Microsoft Newsgroups, if that are the regular
visitors than you are not speaking in my name.

This messages started nicely with Ann, why do you think that this convention
is in usenet.

Cor

Since I don't know which newsgroup you are posting from (this was cross
posted to seven different ones), I am responding to all.

Two of the newsgroups are for Microsoft products. The message is not
wanted there. (It's not wanted in the PHP newsgroups either.)

The original message was nothing more than Usenet SPAM, plain and
simple. It also violates the no-spam policy of many Newsgroup's charters.

If you want SPAM, fine. But I don't come here to read that junk. I
don't know many people (other than the spammers themselves) who do.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

Michi

Jerry said:
Two of the newsgroups are for Microsoft products. The message is not
wanted there. (It's not wanted in the PHP newsgroups either.)

Ice offers language bindings for C#, VB, and PHP. For developers who
need multi-language and cross-platform remoting and write code in one
of these languages, Ice is a relevant option. The post was short and
clearly marked as an announcement, so I don't believe that it
represents an abuse of these groups.

Cheers,

Michi.

Dilip

Jerry said:
Cor Ligthert [MVP] wrote:
Two of the newsgroups are for Microsoft products. The message is not
wanted there. (It's not wanted in the PHP newsgroups either.)

The original message was nothing more than Usenet SPAM, plain and
simple. It also violates the no-spam policy of many Newsgroup's charters.

If you want SPAM, fine. But I don't come here to read that junk. I
don't know many people (other than the spammers themselves) who do.

Who made you guys spokesmen for all these groups? The usenet charter
allows product announcements that are relevant to that group and marked
with a big ANNOUNCE in the subject line. Did any of you bother to read
why this was cross-posted? Because that goddamn middleware has
language mappings to C#, VB.NET, Java, C++ -- its billed as a major
improvement over CORBA and allows PHP clients to access Ice based
servers. For the .NET gang, the father of Mono, Miguel de Icaza has
gone on record saying there is no point waiting for Indigo since Ice is
available **today**.

I am surprised -- you guys are acting as if the post is selling some
stupid life insurance policy.

Grow up!

Marc Laukien

Since I don't know which newsgroup you are posting from (this was cross
posted to seven different ones), I am responding to all.

Two of the newsgroups are for Microsoft products. The message is not
wanted there. (It's not wanted in the PHP newsgroups either.)

The original message was nothing more than Usenet SPAM, plain and
simple. It also violates the no-spam policy of many Newsgroup's charters.

If you want SPAM, fine. But I don't come here to read that junk. I
don't know many people (other than the spammers themselves) who do.

Ice is and open source (GPL), multi-platform, multi-language middleware
package. Among other languages, it supports Visual Basic, C#, and PHP,
therefore the cross-post to the VB, C#, and PHP newsgroups.

I don't see how you could categorize such an announcement as spam. If
you are not interested in Ice, just ignore the posting. Many other
PHP/VB/C# users are very interested in Ice, and use it for a variety of
projects.

-- Marc

Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

Cor,

Cor Ligthert said:
Giving peer-to-peer assistent can as well be from an MVP or MSFT (which I
have often seen and mostly am very glad with) or everyone else who means
that he has an announcement to make accoording to the Microsoft products
and services.

Well, in this particular case it's an advertisement for a non-Microsoft
product/service. That's the little but important difference.

Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

Dilip said:
Who made you guys spokesmen for all these groups? The usenet charter
allows product announcements that are relevant to that group and marked
with a big ANNOUNCE in the subject line.

Well, the Usenet charta doesn't apply to Microsoft's public newsgroups.
These groups have their own "Rules of Conduct". The problem with the OPs
post is that it violates the charta of some of the groups it has been posted
to.

Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

Marc Laukien said:
I don't see how you could categorize such an announcement as spam. If you
are not interested in Ice, just ignore the posting. Many other PHP/VB/C#
users are very interested in Ice, and use it for a variety of projects.

[Side note: I do not consider your post to be spam.]

The points you mention do not really matter. If the post violates the rules
of conduct for some of the groups it's better not to post future messages to
these groups.

Michi

Well, the Usenet charta doesn't apply to Microsoft's public newsgroups.
These groups have their own "Rules of Conduct". The problem with the OPs
post is that it violates the charta of some of the groups it has been posted
to.

Could you be more specific? I'd be keen to know for which groups the
post violates the charter, and where I can find the charter for each
group.

Cheers,

Michi.

Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

Michi said:
Could you be more specific? I'd be keen to know for which groups the
post violates the charter, and where I can find the charter for each
group.

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread:

Rules of Conduct
<URL:http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx>

| *Advertising/Solicitation:* These communities were created
| as a forum for providing peer-to-peer assistance related to using
| Microsoft products and services. We ask that you refrain from
| posting unsolicited advertisements that do not pertain directly to
| the intended use and purpose of the newsgroup or chat.

If interpreted strictly the offending post would violate this rule which
applies to groups in the "microsoft.public.*" hierarchy.

Michi

Hmmm... Ice provides VB and C# programmers with a cross-language and
cross-platform remoting service. The question then appears to be
whether that "pertains directly to the intended use" of these groups.
Maybe a borderline case. Personally, I think it's of interest to quite
a few readers of the groups and, with the post being clearly marked as
an announcement, it's easy enough to skip over it.

Cheers,

Michi.

Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

Michi said:
Hmmm... Ice provides VB and C# programmers with a cross-language and
cross-platform remoting service.

Yes, that's indeed the case. However, imagine everybody announcing new
projects, articles, libraries which are available for free in the groups.
It would get really hard to keep track of the real questions. Rules of
Conduct explicitly state "These communities were created as a forum for
providing peer-to-peer assistance related to using Microsoft products and
services". I would not throw a stone at somebody who posts an advertisement
for a free product here, but I remember someone announcing every update to a
certain library which was available for free every few weeks.
Maybe a borderline case.

ACK.