ANN: Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003

Thomas Scheidegger [MVP]

Could the vc 7.1 compiler produce debugging info (pdb), compatible with the vc6 ide debugger ? After setting some options, the vc 7.1 compiler just works fine inside the vc6 ide ;-) I can build both release and debug mode executables, but the vc6 ide debugger seems not working with newly generated pdb files. Any idea ?

Carl Daniel [VC++ MVP]

zsr said:
Could the vc 7.1 compiler produce debugging info (pdb), compatible
with the vc6 ide debugger ? After setting some options, the vc 7.1
compiler just works fine inside the vc6 ide ;-) I can build both
release and debug mode executables, but the vc6 ide debugger seems
not working with newly generated pdb files. Any idea ?

No it can't. To debug 7.1 code you need the 7.1 IDE/debugger. You might be
able to use windbg though.

-cd

George Hester

Hi. Can I install this without changing my browser to Internet Explorer 6? I know the help documentation in Visual Studio.NET requires it but does this toolkit? Thanks.

krazyman

Thomas Scheidegger said:
The Visual C++ Toolkit is a free edition of Microsoft's professional
Visual C++ optimizing compiler and standard libraries -
the same optimizing compiler and standard libraries that ship
in Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional!

Web:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

Download:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=272be09d-40bb-49fd-9cb0-4bfa122fa91b

File:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/9/b/39bac755-0a1e-4d0b-b72c-3a158b7444c4/VCToolkitSetup.exe

Kudos to MS for giving this away for free! I guess this means no more
whining about VS.NET 2003 Std Edition not having an optimizing
compiler.

IceJug

Can you just give me some info or example about how to make windbg work with
cl.exe and link.exe.

Lionel Fourquaux

"Thomas Scheidegger [MVP]" wrote in message
The Visual C++ Toolkit is a free edition of Microsoft's professional
Visual C++ optimizing compiler and standard libraries -
the same optimizing compiler and standard libraries that ship
in Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional!

Looks like the support library for delay-loading is missing. :(