Ancient Dell No-Boot!

Reaction score
I decided to wake up an old computer, it's a Dell Optiplex GL 575 (dating from around 1593!) Anyroadup,upon switch-on it woke up with a DOS screen and, despite hunting for a couple of hours on the net, I can't find any tutorial telling me how to switch between the DOS screen and the (GUI ?) desktop display which I seem to remember was its normal "wake up" display when I used to use it a decade or so ago. So can you tell me the sequence of keystrokes to get from DOS to the windows Icon type display please? Something very simple I'm sure. If it's relevant it's running Windows 95 and boots same from a floppy disc. Have tried the F8 multi-pressing but nothing seems to work in getting the normal icon type display - just the DOS diagnostics. Help please. Thank you.

Reaction score
It sounds like it may not actually have Windows on it. Try the following to see if you can get any insight as to what is on the computer

Type "cd \" and press enter.
Then type "dir /p" and press enter.

I forget if Windows 95 has the same base directories as the newer versions, but I image you would see at least a Program Files directory, System, and WINDOWS. That might be a good starting point any way. Good luck!

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
If it's relevant it's running Windows 95 and boots same from a floppy disc.

WIndows 95 doesn't boot from floppy except to load the basic stuff to install via CD.

If you boot to floppy, you probably have an A:\ prompt.

Type C: and press enter. Prompt should switch to C:\. Type WIN and press enter. If Windows is installed, it should run.

Ask a Question