An OLE registration error

Y

Yama

When I try to open Outlook 2000, it generates this error
is not currently installed. Run Setup again for the
program." When I click on OK, Outlook closes.

I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook
with all the latest Office 2000 Service Pack.

The problem started to appear after Internet Explorer 6
was uninstalled and then reinstalled. According to MS KB
318653, uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook Express
might fix the problem. However, there's no option to
uninstall Outlook Express in Add/Remove program.

I'm using a Windows 98 SE system.

Any idea to resolve this issue would be appreciated.

G

George Hester

Outlook Express is uninstalled (actually a previous version is installed) when you restore a previous version of IE. Outlook Express is included in Microsoft Internet Explorer.

G

George Hester

No no this OLE registration is a poor install of Outlook Express. I bet I can prove it to you. Do either of you have the capability of saving a Web page as a mht file a web archive? Go to a site that just has some simple graphics and text. In Microsoft Internet Explorer go to File | Save as... | Save as type change to Web archive, single file (*.mht) | Save to your My Documents folder say. Did it work? If it didn't and you have this OLE Registration issue when starting Outlook then Outllok Express is your issue and where the problem can be fixed.

So how do we fix this?

Wel a lot of it depends on your Operating System and Service Pack you are at. So let's consider Windows 98.

Windows 98 came with Microsoft Internet Explorer 4 SP2 and the version of Outlook Express in that is version four. What I would do is restore your previous version of IE first. That is done in Add\Remove if you see Microsoft Internet Explorer there. If you start the process for uninstalling a dialog box will come up asking if you want to Repair Microsoft Internet Explorer or Restore a previous version of Microsoft Internet Explorer. You want to choose the later. This will require a restart of the operating system. Do that.

Upon getting to the desktop you will be given the option to clean up any personal settings you may have left over. Do that too. Say OK.

OK now we are ready for the surgery. Go to Start | Run | regedit | OK. This is your registry editor. Click the +'s on the left-hand side tree view and locate this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

Select that key. On the right hand side you will see this:
Name: IsInstalled
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 0 or 1 it depends.

Change this value to 0 by double-clicking the entry and type 0 then OK.

At this point I reinstall my Service Pack (Windows 2000) and reboot. And also do a System File Check with the Windows 2000 CD-ROM in the drive (Start | Run | cmd | OK | sfc | <ENTER>) and reboot. Ignore this Windows 98.

Now you are ready to go back to your preferred Microsoft Internet Version. Do so by going to where you can download it. If Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 then get it from:

http://www.microsoft.com/ie

Install it. If all goes without error we will reboot. When you come back to the desktop your OLE Registration error problem should be over AND you can verify the fix by trying to save a web archive like I suggested above. Then go to the Windows Update site and install the latest Cumulative Update for your IE version.

There can be issues with this process so if you run into a snag tell me your Operating System, the Service Pack Level, your current Microsoft Internet Explorer version, whether IE appears in Add\Remove or not and we can try something slightly different. HTH

G

Followed George's solution to 'OLE Registration error ..etc....' and it solved the problem.. Thanks for the help. Never realized Outlook needs Outlook Express.

----- George Hester wrote: ----

No no this OLE registration is a poor install of Outlook Express. I bet I can prove it to you. Do either of you have the capability of saving a Web page as a mht file a web archive? Go to a site that just has some simple graphics and text. In Microsoft Internet Explorer go to File | Save as... | Save as type change to Web archive, single file (*.mht) | Save to your My Documents folder say. Did it work? If it didn't and you have this OLE Registration issue when starting Outlook then Outllok Express is your issue and where the problem can be fixed

So how do we fix this

Wel a lot of it depends on your Operating System and Service Pack you are at. So let's consider Windows 98

Windows 98 came with Microsoft Internet Explorer 4 SP2 and the version of Outlook Express in that is version four. What I would do is restore your previous version of IE first. That is done in Add\Remove if you see Microsoft Internet Explorer there. If you start the process for uninstalling a dialog box will come up asking if you want to Repair Microsoft Internet Explorer or Restore a previous version of Microsoft Internet Explorer. You want to choose the later. This will require a restart of the operating system. Do that

Upon getting to the desktop you will be given the option to clean up any personal settings you may have left over. Do that too. Say OK

OK now we are ready for the surgery. Go to Start | Run | regedit | OK. This is your registry editor. Click the +'s on the left-hand side tree view and locate this key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C

Select that key. On the right hand side you will see this
Name: IsInstalle
Type: REG_DWOR
Value: 0 or 1 it depends

Change this value to 0 by double-clicking the entry and type 0 then OK

At this point I reinstall my Service Pack (Windows 2000) and reboot. And also do a System File Check with the Windows 2000 CD-ROM in the drive (Start | Run | cmd | OK | sfc | <ENTER>) and reboot. Ignore this Windows 98

Now you are ready to go back to your preferred Microsoft Internet Version. Do so by going to where you can download it. If Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 then get it from

http://www.microsoft.com/i

Install it. If all goes without error we will reboot. When you come back to the desktop your OLE Registration error problem should be over AND you can verify the fix by trying to save a web archive like I suggested above. Then go to the Windows Update site and install the latest Cumulative Update for your IE version

There can be issues with this process so if you run into a snag tell me your Operating System, the Service Pack Level, your current Microsoft Internet Explorer version, whether IE appears in Add\Remove or not and we can try something slightly different. HT

Ask a Question