Windows XP Almost Stopped......

Reaction score
Michael?? Didn't nivrip say Mucks helped him? Means it works and means that no upgrade is essential now. Btw, I used XP with 258 RAM and I had no problems at all...

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Every one of the 04s in your HJT log are programs preloading and running whether you need them or not ... look through each one, most will/can be told not to load at startup ... some may even be uninstalled as they are no longer used or there is an alternative that will load on demand.

An example: Adobe Acrobat Reader preloads to make it run faster, is sitting in your taskbar running, waiting to be used ... go get Foxit as a replacement, it runs ONLY when you double click on a .PDF file. Nobody needs Adobe's Reader.

In your case, looking at the 04s, I see ...
RealPlay.exe ... ouch!! this is a real pain in the ass
qttask.exe ... QuickTime, not needed to load at startup
easyshare.exe ... Kodak EasyShare, not needed to load at startup

... the list goes on, a lot of these 'programs' do NOT need to 'load' at all, especially all them messenger programs. ;)

What's the best way to get them off the Start Up, Mucks?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
nivrip said:
What's the best way to get them off the Start Up, Mucks?
Check what 'programs' are loading, look by the clock on the taskbar.

Printers, scanners, photo software, RealPlayer, QuickTime, Instant Messengers, sound card tools, video card tools ... hell nearly every piece of software you install don't need to be running, and most insist they are. :rolleyes:

Go get Sysinternals Process Explorer ... lets you 'see' everything running. :thumb:

Take a look at me attachment, notice I have soundman.exe ... I never needed it with XP, however, on Vista, I use Process Explorer to stop it running, it causes me sound to crash on boot-up sometimes, I can't seem to stop it loading ... bloody sad of Realtek, it ain't Vista compatable. :wall:

Must install me new sound card ... :lol:

:user:

Attachments

• prosess.JPG
    prosess.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 115

Ask a Question