Allowing multiple users in Access 2007

Paularb

How do I allow multiple users to access and save information into an Access
2007 database at the same time?

Tony Toews [MVP]

Paularb said:
How do I allow multiple users to access and save information into an Access
2007 database at the same time?

You want to split the MDB into a Front End MDB containing the queries,
forms, reports, macros and modules with just the tables and
relationships in the Back End MDB. The FE is copied to each network
users computer. The FE MDB is linked to the tables in the back end
MDB which resides on a server. You make updates to the FE MDB and
distribute them to the users, likely as an MDE.

See the "Splitting your app into a front end and back end Tips" page
at http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/ for more info. See the
free Auto FE Updater utility at http://www.autofeupdater.com/ to make
the distribution of new FEs relatively painless.. The utility also
supports Terminal Server/Citrix quite nicely.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP

Larry Linson

Access is multi-user enabled right out of the box. It is best to split the
front end (user interface, queries, forms, reports, macros, and modules)
from the back end (tables and relationships) and link to the backend tables.
If you are careful not to handle user customization by putting tables in the
front end, when it comes time for an update that doesn't require
restructuring the database (and most do not), you can just have each user
download a new copy of the updated front end, go through linking the tables,
and you're "good to go". Three sites with good multiuser information are
those of MVPs Tony Toews, Allend Browne, and former-MVP Jeff Conrad -- all
are listed, with links, on the first page of my Access user group site
http://sp.ntpcug.org/accesssig/.

You can use a split Access with Jet .MDB or ACE .ACCDB, you can link other
database's tables (e.g, dBase or FoxPro .DBF files), and you can use Access
as the client application to most server databases that are ODBC-compliant
or have an OLEDB data provider. These are some of Access strongest points.

Larry Linson
Microsoft Office Access MVP

Joined
Jun 19, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
[...]

"Paularb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> How do I allow multiple users to access and save information into an
> Access
> 2007 database at the same time?

I have a database for which I have a FE (accounting.mdb) and BE (Plan_Data.mdb) set up. Accounting is entered in the FE using forms, and updates the Accounting tables which reside in the BE. BE is on a shared drive, FE is on individual computers. I follwed the instructions exactly.Linked the tables to the BE. I distributed the FEs to 4 users. I've done this many times before and never had a problem. For some reason the BE database will not allow multiple users.

Every time a second person tries to use the FE when someone else is in it, they get a message "Could not use "S:/Accounting....Plan_Data.mdb'; file is already in use". This shouldn't happen, all that is done in the BE is updating linked master tables.

The whole reason for creating two databases is so more than one can use it at the same time. Can anyone tell me what the problem is? I don't understand how this database is any different than a dozen others I have made. I started all over in a new database and copied the files over for each database. Didn't work. I used .accb didn't work. Switched to mdb, didn't help.

Last edited: