alg.exe Server Program

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
When I tried logging in to Yahoo Messenger tonight, Zone Alarm popped up with this message:

Server Program
Application Layer Gateway Service wants to accept connections from the internet.
Application: alg.exe
Source IP:217.158.116.17:port 2912

I denied it, because I don't normally get this message when I connect Y! Messenger, however, it now will not connect. Tried Googling, but found mixed views - some saying it's Microsoft, others hinting at worms so wondered if anyone could advise me please? Thanks :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
LoL ... do you have Windows firewall enabled?

This program provides optional utilities like the Windows Firewall and ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). If you're not using either one of them then you should not be seeing this program run.

The alg.exe which is from Microsoft is located at c:\windows\System32\alg.exe . There are NO threats that run as alg to trick you. There are however a LOT of viruses that try their best to take this application out to open you up for other attacks.

What is your AV program?

:)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Hmmm, just re-read your post
... wants to accept connections from the internet.

If a third party firewall warns you that Alg.exe wants to access, check to make sure you're not double firewalled, as I said.

If you are, disable ICF.

If you are using neither ICF or ICS and are warned that Alg.exe is trying to access the internet, deny it. A Trojan or worm is trying to use it as a backdoor.

nod.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I'm running AVG (Free edition) and the aforementioned Zone Alarm Firewall - (thought I'd disabled the Windows version but on checking, see that it IS enabled.:D This probably happened when I was trying to set up a network recently (for printer sharing.) Funny thing is, it must have been enabled yesterday too, but Y! Messenger connected ok then.... :confused:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice - I've disabled Windows Firewall - the ICS was disabled anyway, (only have dial-up at present.) Now when i try to log into Y! Messenger, I don't get the alg-exe message ....... trouble is, I don't actually get Messenger either
laughingsmiley.gif
so I guess it's Yahoo's way of trying to get me to download it's Beta version which it keeps nagging on about, but I keep refusing.... well, cats are stubborn aren't they lol!!;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Sorry TC but I do not trust any of them IMs ... ;)

AVG ain't that good with Trojans & Worms, which is what we see these days, I lost favour with AVG.

Now I'm not trying to persuade you to change but I would give Anti-Vir (free) or KAV (trial & pay for) or even give NOD32 a go. I like the way NOD is going and may 'test' it out.

There are numerous "on-line" scanners anyway one can get a second opinion from though.

:thumb:

Do you not have a router?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Thank you for the advice - I've disabled Windows Firewall - the ICS was disabled anyway, (only have dial-up at present.) Now when i try to log into Y! Messenger, I don't get the alg-exe message ....... trouble is, I don't actually get Messenger either
laughingsmiley.gif
so I guess it's Yahoo's way of trying to get me to download it's Beta version which it keeps nagging on about, but I keep refusing.... well, cats are stubborn aren't they lol!!;)
oh heck, dial-up ... ugh!

:D

err, time for bed for me. ;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
No, we don't have a router - we have two laptops with internal modems, but it's rather "Heath Robinson" here at the moment, because we have to take turns to connect them via the dial-up! :blush: At best, that is only ever 45 kbps lol (Hoping to get ADSL before I'm much older though lol)

Not heard of NOD before - or KAV, so will take a look at them - I used Panda (paid for version) for a few years, but had such a problem with the last renewal, that I eventually cancelled it and ended up with AVG.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Just a quick up-date ... the Messenger programme is working fine this morning :thumb: seems that it was a general glitch because a friend experienced the same thing. I appreciate the help regarding the alg-exe question though, at least I have learned something about that and a bit more knowledge is always welcome.
nod.gif
Thanks again.

muckshifter

Reaction score
You're welcome ... glad it was just a 'glitch' and nothing more.

:thumb:

Ask a Question