Aida32 has been replaced by Everest Home Edition

John Ski

Sandra 2004 is a free alternative that just as good if not better:

ph,

According to the info at the CNet D/L site, it's not really free. It's free to
try, US$29.95 to buy, shareware. However, I have used it at a client and it is
a good prog.

Cheers,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

Phil \(a.k.a. purplehaz\)

John said:
ph,

According to the info at the CNet D/L site, it's not really free.
It's free to try, US$29.95 to buy, shareware. However, I have used it
at a client and it is a good prog.

No you just need to read the license agreement(which of course no one
does -- but I do). Free for personal use.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1.. LICENCE. For personal use, paragraph 1.a. applies. For any other use,
(office, business, etc.) paragraph 1.b. applies.

1.. PERSONAL USE LICENCE. For personal use, subject to the terms and
conditions of this AGREEMENT, AUTHOR grants you the limited right to use the
SOFTWARE on your home computer(s) or the computer(s) of an accredited
educational institution for private use only. You may not copy any of the
printed material (if any) for any reason. You have no ownership or
proprietary rights in or to the SOFTWARE. You agree that the SOFTWARE will
not be used, in any manner, in violation of any applicable law.

You are not required to pay any charge. For personal use as defined
above, the SOFTWARE is free.

2.. EVALUATION LICENCE. For any other use, subject to the terms and
conditions of this AGREEMENT, AUTHOR grants you the limited right to use the
SOFTWARE for evaluation purposes without charge for a period of 21 days. If
you use the SOFTWARE after the 21 day evaluation period you must pay the
registration fee as outlined in the "Ordering Document".

Unregistered use of the SOFTWARE after the 21 day evaluation period is
in violation of United Kingdom and international copyright laws.

John Ski

Subject: Re: Aida32 has been replaced by Everest Home Edition
From: "Phil \(a.k.a. purplehaz\)" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 4/22/2004 10:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time

No you just need to read the license agreement(which of course no one
does -- but I do). Free for personal use.

Thanks for wading thru all the legalese. I didn't go beyond the D/L page on
C/Net which didn't make the distinction.

John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

Alex Nichol

Phil said:
Sandra 2004 is a free alternative that just as good if not better:
http://www.sisoftware.net/

Not a program I would allow anywhere near a machine. It can be useful
in comparing the effects of a change in hardware, but its advice has
historically been generally bad

The final version of Aida, which provides license keys used for software
other than just windows, can still be obtained, hosted on Jim Eshelman's
site at
http://aumha.org/freeware.htm
(second item)

Phil \(a.k.a. purplehaz\)

John said:
Thanks for wading thru all the legalese. I didn't go beyond the D/L
page on C/Net which didn't make the distinction.

You're welcome. I actually have been using it for a while now and just
opened the Eula link it installed for me and read it. Then I copied and
pasted.

Phil \(a.k.a. purplehaz\)

Alex said:
Not a program I would allow anywhere near a machine. It can be useful
in comparing the effects of a change in hardware, but its advice has
historically been generally bad

Really? I have been using it for a while now, and I admit, I only use like
25% of what it does, but it seems to work great. I actually got rid of
aida32 in favor of this. Hmmm.... interesting, first bad words I heard about
it. Thanks for your info and opinion.