AGP bus installed on PCI bus?

valentin tihomirov

Windows detects AGP bus installed on PCI. How can this be true if AGP
operates at rates much higher that PCI peak performance?

Maxim S. Shatskih

This only shows how the config space accesses are wired on the motherboard,
and also the lameness of the particular ACPI table.
I saw ACPI tables who claimed that the PS/2 mouse is installed on PCI bus
:)

valentin tihomirov

But I used to read DDK. It describes device initialization sequence. When
DeviceManager encounters new device it loads proper driver. If detected
device is a bus, enumeration of bus device is requested. This is how device
tree is built. And that is why I wonder; how could PCI bus inform Device
Manager that AGP is one of its children?

Maxim S. Shatskih

Due to how the config spaces are structured.
BTW - what is the chipset we're speaking about?

Calvin Guan

Windows detects AGP bus installed on PCI.

Do you mean the AGP bus is sitting behind a PCI-to-PCI bridge or the PCI
root bus?
What's the bus number for the AGP bridge?

Jim

As far as the hardware is concerned, AGP devices are enumerated on
PCI. The AGP bus has an accelerated data transfer mechanism but the
bus enumeration is all PCI. I am not familiar enough with the
Configuration Manager and AGP but I would think it would be tightly
coupled to the PCI bus enumerator.

Jim

Eliyas Yakub [MSFT]

From: Davis W (Owner of PCI bus driver)

The root PCI bus in a machine is almost never a real PCI bus. It is a bus
exposed like PCI to software, but is typically a chipset-internal bus that
operates in a chipset-specific way. As a result, AGP can be bridged from
this bus.

Todd Barlow

From: Davis W (Owner of PCI bus driver)

The root PCI bus in a machine is almost never a real PCI bus. It is a bus
exposed like PCI to software, but is typically a chipset-internal bus that
operates in a chipset-specific way. As a result, AGP can be bridged from
this bus.

I am sorry if this is not directly related to the topic at hand. But
we are performance testing different appliances (Compaq/HP DL360, Dell
1750, etc.) and we find that the faster results (for our tests) are
those boxes that show multiple "PCI BUS" entries at the top-level in
the device manager tree view (by connection)...

I don't think that means that there are that many PCI buses in the
system. The Dell 1750 shows as many as 5 seperate top-level entries!
How could this be?

BTW, our worst performer is one in which only ONE "PCI BUS" entry
exists directly below the ACPI entry, yet the mobo manufacturer calls
what they have a "triple-peer PCI bus architecure". Seems like it
doesn't work too well to me!

Any help in my pursuit of knowledge on this?

Thanks for any help.

Alexander Grigoriev

PCI bus throughput is much less (20 times) than memory throughput. So it may
make sense to provide a separate PCI bus per each slot or on-board device,
is you don't want the devices sharing PCI bandwidth.

From: Davis W (Owner of PCI bus driver)

[...]

Tim Roberts

Alexander Grigoriev said:
PCI bus throughput is much less (20 times) than memory throughput. So it may
make sense to provide a separate PCI bus per each slot or on-board device,
is you don't want the devices sharing PCI bandwidth.

And that's exactly what PCI-Express does.

public.microsoft.com

Try scrolling down and you'll find the agp to cpu on pci bus 0. If it works
good why worry? If it doesn't work ,sweat!

valentin tihomirov

Try scrolling down and you'll find the agp to cpu on pci bus 0.
What does AGP to CPU connector on PCI bus? I't is even more odd than AGP on
PCI. In fact, I don't have such thing. The question is Wintel platform
organisation, not only stupid user question.

public.microsoft.com

If it really bothers you so much , download the ddk from microsoft and fix
it.