After reinstall XP Pro asks for passwords I never entered

Giles

Because of a problem with a hard disk utility that got
stuck and that I had to close, I had to repair my windows
installation. Once completed, after the final reboot
Windows XP Pro loaded normally, my 3 original user
accounts appeared on the welcome screen, but to log on
any account I would be asked for a password. Whatever I
enter,(and even if I just press Enter), I get the logon
message:" The system cannot log you on due to the
following error: The specified domain either does not
exist or could not be contacted. Please try again or
consult your system administrator"

This is strange because these accounts didn't require a
password prior to the re-install, and also because I have
never been asked to enter passwords during the setup
process for this reinstall.

Using a password changing software I have tried to erase
the passwords for the user accounts, but they were
already blank; and using recovery console I erased the
file with the accounts, relaunching Setup after that. It
recreated 2 user accounts instead (1
called "administrator" and 1 called "guest") but as
before they ask for a password I don't know and display
the same message whatever I enter.

Any idea why this is and what I could do to log on?

Many thanks in advance.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Use your TAB key and tab past the password box, hit enter.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| Because of a problem with a hard disk utility that got
| stuck and that I had to close, I had to repair my windows
| installation. Once completed, after the final reboot
| Windows XP Pro loaded normally, my 3 original user
| accounts appeared on the welcome screen, but to log on
| any account I would be asked for a password. Whatever I
| enter,(and even if I just press Enter), I get the logon
| message:" The system cannot log you on due to the
| following error: The specified domain either does not
| exist or could not be contacted. Please try again or
| consult your system administrator"
|
| This is strange because these accounts didn't require a
| password prior to the re-install, and also because I have
| never been asked to enter passwords during the setup
| process for this reinstall.
|
| Using a password changing software I have tried to erase
| the passwords for the user accounts, but they were
| already blank; and using recovery console I erased the
| file with the accounts, relaunching Setup after that. It
| recreated 2 user accounts instead (1
| called "administrator" and 1 called "guest") but as
| before they ask for a password I don't know and display
| the same message whatever I enter.
|
| Any idea why this is and what I could do to log on?
|
| Many thanks in advance.

I tried that but unfortunately I still get the same
message: The specified domain either does not exist or
could not be contacted. Please try again or consult your
system administrator.

Any other idea?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Passwords Are Unexpectedly Assigned to User Accounts After You Upgrade to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318026&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Giles" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| Because of a problem with a hard disk utility that got
| stuck and that I had to close, I had to repair my windows
| installation. Once completed, after the final reboot
| Windows XP Pro loaded normally, my 3 original user
| accounts appeared on the welcome screen, but to log on
| any account I would be asked for a password. Whatever I
| enter,(and even if I just press Enter), I get the logon
| message:" The system cannot log you on due to the
| following error: The specified domain either does not
| exist or could not be contacted. Please try again or
| consult your system administrator"
|
| This is strange because these accounts didn't require a
| password prior to the re-install, and also because I have
| never been asked to enter passwords during the setup
| process for this reinstall.
|
| Using a password changing software I have tried to erase
| the passwords for the user accounts, but they were
| already blank; and using recovery console I erased the
| file with the accounts, relaunching Setup after that. It
| recreated 2 user accounts instead (1
| called "administrator" and 1 called "guest") but as
| before they ask for a password I don't know and display
| the same message whatever I enter.
|
| Any idea why this is and what I could do to log on?
|
| Many thanks in advance.

Giles

I tried that but unfortunately I get the same message :