After installing XP-SP2 laptop does not hibernate or shutdown

Dr. J

I installed XP-SP2 on my laptop (HP Omnibook 6000) and what a mistake it
was. Now it simply doesn't shutdown or hibernate. After "start"->"turn off
computer"->"shutdown", or "hibernate" the LCD turns black (LCD remains on)
and nothing else happens. I can only shut it down by holding the power
switch for few seconds and force it to shutdown in this state. This means
my only option is a forced shutdown through the hardware switch and no
hibernate.

I have checked the power management options in the control panel and nothing
seems to be out of ordinary. Any help is appreciated before I go nuts and
uninstall the damn thing and wait for SP3!

Carey Frisch [MVP]

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Important Information for Upgrading
to Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...n&lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00218731&lang=en&cc=us

Reinstall the following:

HP Omnibook/Pavilion series - HP Display Settings Utility
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...09en&os=Microsoft+Windows+XP&tech=Application

Make sure you have the lastest HP recommended drivers and software installed,
including the latest BIOS update:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...Id=321957&prodSeriesId=31762&swEnvOID=228#840

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

:

| I installed XP-SP2 on my laptop (HP Omnibook 6000) and what a mistake it
| was. Now it simply doesn't shutdown or hibernate. After "start"->"turn off
| computer"->"shutdown", or "hibernate" the LCD turns black (LCD remains on)
| and nothing else happens. I can only shut it down by holding the power
| switch for few seconds and force it to shutdown in this state. This means
| my only option is a forced shutdown through the hardware switch and no
| hibernate.
|
| I have checked the power management options in the control panel and nothing
| seems to be out of ordinary. Any help is appreciated before I go nuts and
| uninstall the damn thing and wait for SP3!

Rick Merrill

Dr. J said:
I installed XP-SP2 on my laptop (HP Omnibook 6000) and what a mistake it
was. Now it simply doesn't shutdown or hibernate. After "start"->"turn off
computer"->"shutdown", or "hibernate" the LCD turns black (LCD remains on)
and nothing else happens. I can only shut it down by holding the power
switch for few seconds and force it to shutdown in this state. This means
my only option is a forced shutdown through the hardware switch and no
hibernate.

I have checked the power management options in the control panel and nothing
seems to be out of ordinary. Any help is appreciated before I go nuts and
uninstall the damn thing and wait for SP3!

Did you update your computer's manufacturer updates for SP2? - RM

Dr. J

Thank you for your advice, I followed the instruction and

upgraded the BIOS,
installed the HP Display Setting Utility,
installed Intel SpeedStep Driver Solution,
Synaptics Touchpad driver,
3COM LAN driver,
3COM Modem driver,
SuperDisk utility LS240
Other updates didn't apply to my laptop.

Still my machine could not hibernate or shutdown. I uninstalled the SP2 and
everything is back to normal. I was wondering since originally I had
installed SP2 before updating the drivers, if this time I reinstall SP2
after the driver update it would work correctly? Any thoughts or any more
info regarding HP Omnibook 6000?

Thanks in advance

Bob Qin [MSFT]

Hello,

Thanks for your posting here.

Is there any related error occurred when system shut down in the event logs?

Please run msconfig.exe to disable Startup Group and Third party services
on the Windows XP computer. What is the result?

You can refer to the following document for the detailed information:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

Have a nice day!

Regards,
Bob Qin
Microsoft Online Partner Support

From: "Dr. J" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Subject: Re: After installing XP-SP2 laptop does not hibernate or
shutdown
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 05:18:15 GMT

Thank you for your advice, I followed the instruction and

upgraded the BIOS,
installed the HP Display Setting Utility,
installed Intel SpeedStep Driver Solution,
Synaptics Touchpad driver,
3COM LAN driver,
3COM Modem driver,
SuperDisk utility LS240
Other updates didn't apply to my laptop.

Still my machine could not hibernate or shutdown. I uninstalled the
SP2 and
everything is back to normal. I was wondering since originally I had
installed SP2 before updating the drivers, if this time I reinstall
SP2
after the driver update it would work correctly? Any thoughts or any
more
info regarding HP Omnibook 6000?

Thanks in advance

David Probett

Hi

It's the same with my late-2001 Dell Inspiron 8100

And I can't fix it either

Regards

David

I installed XP-SP2 on my laptop (HP Omnibook 6000) and what a mistake it
was. Now it simply doesn't shutdown or hibernate. After "start"->"turn off
computer"->"shutdown", or "hibernate" the LCD turns black (LCD remains on)
and nothing else happens. I can only shut it down by holding the power
switch for few seconds and force it to shutdown in this state. This means
my only option is a forced shutdown through the hardware switch and no
hibernate.

I have checked the power management options in the control panel and nothing
seems to be out of ordinary. Any help is appreciated before I go nuts and
uninstall the damn thing and wait for SP3!

David Probett
(e-mail address removed)

Dr. J

I don't see any particular error remotely related to shutdown or hibernation
in the event logs. I will try to reinstall SP2 and give it another try now
that I have updated all the drivers and then if the problem reappears will
try to use msconfig and see if I can find a clue on what possibly is causing
the problem.

Out of curiosity, since laptop's hardware, software, and configuration
remains the same and everything works fine with SP1, then what is different
in SP2 treating ACPI that causes this problem? I see few other people
having similar problem that points to re-examination of SP2's treatment of
ACPI.

Best regards

Bob Qin [MSFT]

Hi Dr.J,

Frankly speaking, it is hard to determine the root cause of this issue.
Based on my experiences, sometimes the problem can be caused if there is
device driver or third party software that is not compatible with Windows
XP SP2.

If the problem occurs again, you can try the msconfig.exe tool to perform
clean boot in Windows XP.

Thank you again for using our Newsgroup!

From: "Dr. J" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
shutdown
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 05:18:15 GMT

[...]

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?dlc=en&lc=en&cc=us&docnam

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?loc

ale=en_US&lang=English&pnameOID=20053&prodSeriesId=31762&prodTypeId=321957&b

asePartNum=ob709&locBasepartNum=ob709en&os=Microsoft+Windows+XP&tech=Applica software

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID

=20053&locale=en_US&taskId=135&refresh=true&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- what a
mistake it (LCD holding
the state. switch
and no control panel
and
nothing
before I
go

Dr. J

Thank you Bob, I am afraid I am out of luck here. To summarize:

1- Had SP1 and everything worked perfectly

2- Installed SP2 and could not shutdown or hibernate. Only could shutdown
if hold the power switch and force a hardware shutdown.

3- Upgraded all drivers and BIOS to the latest version, still could not
hibernate or shutdown.

4- Uninstalled SP2 and everything worked perfectly again.

5- Decided to install SP2 again and investigate further by using msconfig.
Installation of SP2 for the second time proved to be a catastrophe. System
would not boot. System would turn on by a blank black screen and freeze, no
sign of disk activity.

6- Did a safe boot and uninstalled SP2 again. Proved to be a further
catastrophe. This time got to the logon screen, but freezing dead there.

7- Did a safe boot again and rolled back to a restore point of original SP2
update. Proved to be a much bigger catastrophe. Cannot even safe boot.
System freezes on safe boot screen.

8- Basically I am out of luck and posting from my other computer. My
Omnibook 6000 is useless and my mistake not to backup my personal data. I
cannot think of any particular third party driver on that machine that could
have interfered that badly with SP2. At this point my only options seems to
be to boot from the original XP disk, zap the disk and start from zero.

Best regards and thanks again,

Bob Qin [MSFT]

Hi Dr. J,

I am sorry to hear that.

You can try to connect the hard disk to other computer and copy the
important data out. I recommend that you install Windows XP SP2 after you
perform clean installation.

In addition, it will be better that we often backup the imporant data.

Here are some documents may be useful to you.

308422 How To Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308422

309340 How to use Backup to restore files and folders on your computer in
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=309340

314844 How to Schedule Unattended Backups by Using a Stand-Alone Tape
Library
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314844

From: "Dr. J" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
shutdown
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 02:43:52 GMT

[...]

confers
no
rights.

From: "Dr. J" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
shutdown
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 05:18:15 GMT

[...]

tristan

1- Had SP1 and everything worked perfectly

2- Installed SP2 and could not shutdown or hibernate.

I have the exact same problem (so do thousands of people, apparently).

Is there a solution ?