Aero quicker than Classic? Help!

joe

I prefer using the Windows Classic style. The thing is, Aero is more
responsive. My computer is average, and definitely not high end. When I
select Windows Classic, the computer lags in pretty much everything. It
takes around ten seconds for just the All Programs menu to load in Start!
Is there a setting I can use to make the computer more responsive? Because
this just doesn't make sense. I thought Aero was supposed to be the resource
intensive one, but its smooth as silk. This is even more of a problem
considering that I'm not going to pay $400 for an operating system, so I'd
like to know how to get the classic theme to not lag. Any help? Thanks.

Bill Frisbee

Joe,

What type of video card are you running? Do you have the latest drivers for
said video card?
How much ram? Which processor?

64 or 32 bit Windows?

What build of Vista?

Bill F.

Mark D. VandenBerg

joe said:
I prefer using the Windows Classic style. The thing is, Aero is more
responsive. My computer is average, and definitely not high end. When I
select Windows Classic, the computer lags in pretty much everything. It
takes around ten seconds for just the All Programs menu to load in Start!
Is there a setting I can use to make the computer more responsive? Because
this just doesn't make sense. I thought Aero was supposed to be the
resource intensive one, but its smooth as silk. This is even more of a
problem considering that I'm not going to pay $400 for an operating
system, so I'd like to know how to get the classic theme to not lag. Any
help? Thanks.

It may be that the Aero theme with "Glass" enabled uses your graphics card
RAM and processor exclusively to render the video, and in Classic mode,
Vista is relying on your CPU for the graphics. But I'm only guessing.

Yoshi

Good guess.

Mark D. VandenBerg said:
It may be that the Aero theme with "Glass" enabled uses your graphics card
RAM and processor exclusively to render the video, and in Classic mode,
Vista is relying on your CPU for the graphics. But I'm only guessing.

Well that does make sense... but I still don't see why the classic theme
should be using so much processing power in the first place?

Vista RC1 Build 5600
32-bit
GeForce 7300GS w/ version 96.33 (RC1) drivers
1.2 GB RAM
Celeron 336 processor (2.8 GHz)

-joe (for some reason, if I post through IE my name shows up as my email)

Mark D. VandenBerg

After looking at your machine specs, it really doesn't make sense to me
either, and as I stated, I am only guessing. Perhaps one of the esteemed
MVP's can lend a clue?

DCR

Uninstall those OLD and TERRIBLE 96.33 drivers.
Download and install the latest nVidia drivers.

The latest nvidia drivers are listed as being for RC2. Can I still use them
with RC1?

Dustin