Advice on moving DNS and DHCP to a new server

N

Ned Hart

Hello everyone

It's time to replace two of my aging DHCP/DNS servers with new ones.
My environment is Windows 2000 AD with 1,000 nodes, mostly Windows
2000 with some Windows 98. The aging servers run as standalone
Windows 2000 servers and are responsible for providing both DHCP and
DNS service to nodes spread out accross 8 seperate buildings connected
via ATM. Each building has a single lightly used server which also
acts as a DC. I would appreciate advice on the best way to remove
both servers and install two new servers with the same DHCP/DNS
configuration as the old servers while avoiding dhcp and dns issues
for workstations and servers. Ideally, I'd also like to improve on my
current configuration, perhaps with AD-Integrated DNS, and anything
else that might come to mind.

I want to say thanks in advance, but that does not even come close to
describing my appreciation for all the help given me over the years by
people in the NG's. <-- Getting misty eyed.

M

Michael Johnston [MSFT]

If the DNS zones are active directory integrated, then DNS is no problem. Simply install the new machine as a DC with the DNS service and AD will handle
moving the zone. If you have forwarders setup on the old server, all you need to do is manully add them on the new DNS server. DHCP isn't that difficult either.
The jist of it is to make a copy of the HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/DHCPServer/Configuration key and the make a backup copy of the winnt\system32\dhcp
directory. On the new server install the DHCP service, stop the service, import the backup copy of the registry key and move the contents of the old DHCP
directory into the new DHCP servers DHCP directory. Lastly, start the service again. For more detailed information please reference "130642 How to Move a
DHCP Database to Another Windows Server http://support.microsoft.com/?id=130642"

Thank you,
Mike Johnston
Microsoft Network Support
--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

Ask a Question